Is it just me or is the 038 Magnum underpowered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s nothing quite like the sound of a silver 92 though [emoji108][emoji2532]

If you can keep shifting that Silver 8v92 TA from 1600-2100 RPM after you take off in first/low it’ll pull pretty well. Learned that the hard way back when I was driving an old Freightshaker (from when FL built a decent truck) and when I started driving our 1992 Seagrave pumper. They were both rated at 450, but with the 10 speed crash box I could keep it wound up when the five speed Allison would drop the RPM too low.

Have you been watching some falling vids and stuff August?

I’m rootin’ for ya

If you start with some 10-12” or so trees, when you get to a 24 it won’t seem too bad..
I watched the Husqvarna video which was pretty long but he was using the bore cut method a lot anyway I can't just go cutting down trees for the heck of it even on this guy's property he just wants the dead ones down the other tree is exactly the same size but it's not leaning up the hill

If you can keep shifting that Silver 8v92 TA from 1600-2100 RPM after you take off in first/low it’ll pull pretty well. Learned that the hard way back when I was driving an old Freightshaker (from when FL built a decent truck) and when I started driving our 1992 Seagrave pumper. They were both rated at 450, but with the 10 speed crash box I could keep it wound up when the five speed Allison would drop the RPM too low.

drive it like ya stole it. last one i ran, the owner would run it to 25. id do bout 23. 1o spd too far apart on those, imo. lotta hills here. 13 or 5+4.
+1 on freightshakers. "we build quantity, not quality" from friend used to mechanic them.

Hi all, I’ve been lurking here for a couple of weeks and am interested in the topic of 038 magnums. My name is Justin and I’m from Victoria in Australia and I’ve had one of these saws for about 18 years. I bought it second hand and it’s still running the original piston, rings & cylinder. It used to have heaps of grunt for cutting personal use firewood but it was always a ***** to start from cold if it sat any longer than 2 weeks. It would often take at least 15 pulls on full choke before it would fire and then once it started it would cut great. I should do a compression test on it one day to see if it’s getting sad but I don’t use it much these days as I updated to an Ms381 and an Ms661.
pull the filter off and run a thimble of mix into the carb with the choke off and give it
throttle /no running of course .that primes it after it has been sitting
they have an S shaped fuel line that acts like a plumbing P trap
and it will prime and start with much fewer pulls

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try it next time I use it. Not sure I’ll use it much more as I’ve got myself a stihl ms381 and a ms661 now so the old 038magnum might be on the market soon.

I thought about buying a 038 Super a couple of months ago.
Lucky I didn't I guess, as I eventually stumbled across a much nicer 372xp for about the same money.

I can see how this size saw could be very popular, as it isn't much heavier than a 60, but has a good bit more power.

I don't know that I really need a 71cc saw for felling a 24" or a little bigger tree now and then though. The 50cc would probably work just fine.
And I doubt it's really big enough to mill slabs from 24 to 36 inch trees. Which is what I'd like to do when the opportunity presents itself.

I thought about buying a 038 Super a couple of months ago.
Lucky I didn't I guess, as I eventually stumbled across a much nicer 372xp for about the same money.

I can see how this size saw could be very popular, as it isn't much heavier than a 60, but has a good bit more power.

I don't know that I really need a 71cc saw for felling a 24" or a little bigger tree now and then though. The 50cc would probably work just fine.
And I doubt it's really big enough to mill slabs from 24 to 36 inch trees. Which is what I'd like to do when the opportunity presents itself.
I own a newer 372xp im not impressed with it either. They feel like the same class saw to me. My makita dcs6421 is the one saw that impresses me most. Ive milled with all 3 similar performances milling.

I own a newer 372xp im not impressed with it either. They feel like the same class saw to me. My makita dcs6421 is the one saw that impresses me most. Ive milled with all 3 similar performances milling.
I like the 372 just fine for what it is.
Lightweight and plenty powerful for felling and firewood.
But I don't really need a saw to do that as I'm not a big firewood cutter.

I could get a 6421 for about the same price. But then I'd want to turn it into a 7900. I really like the build quality of Dolkita, but not sure 79cc is what I want. Maybe it would be fine, but I'd rather have 90 or more.

The 372 is here to stay for now. It was a good deal, and I'd rather have it than any 60cc saw.

Maybe I'll luck into a deal on a bigger old saw that was similarly lightly used.

I like the 372 just fine for what it is.
Lightweight and plenty powerful for felling and firewood.
But I don't really need a saw to do that as I'm not a big firewood cutter.

I could get a 6421 for about the same price. But then I'd want to turn it into a 7900. I really like the build quality of Dolkita, but not sure 79cc is what I want. Maybe it would be fine, but I'd rather have 90 or more.

The 372 is here to stay for now. It was a good deal, and I'd rather have it than any 60cc saw.

Maybe I'll luck into a deal on a bigger old saw that was similarly lightly used.
And a super is smaller than a mag. The 038mag will likely outlast a 372xp xtorq.
The 64cc dolkita is a absolute beast for 64cc but just as heavy as a 79cc or a 038 or a 372. Best saw ive ever had. I have a old dolmar 111 52c saw i love. Dolmar is under rated. Having said that I like the husky but its a toss between my 038 mag. The mag has more grunt

I have a Brazil made 038 mag with a bing carb and 2 port muffler.

It's got a stock jug, bing carb and new stihl rings/ base gasket delete.

It is heavy and sometimes is hard to start but I really like it. It pulls a 25" bar with authority and I find has more then enough power.

It ain't the fastest saw but it sure pulls like a tractor in anything I cut with it.

I have a Brazil made 038 mag with a bing carb and 2 port muffler.

It's got a stock jug, bing carb and new stihl rings/ base gasket delete.

It is heavy and sometimes is hard to start but I really like it. It pulls a 25" bar with authority and I find has more then enough power.

It ain't the fastest saw but it sure pulls like a tractor in anything I cut with it.
Thats how i feel about mine. Like a tractor! Well said. Buy a serial number mine is supposed to be Brazilian but the starter cover says Germany of course I have no Authority on the serial numbers being legit as far as where they were made at I believe mine has the Bing carburetor also I know that it has the biggest carburetor they made

Latest posts

Back