ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Is it me, or most folks just don't like Paula Deen?

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Fish, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Fish

Fish Account Hold

I have to admit, I really don't like her shows, but what has brought on all of this media dogpiling? Most online discussions go into folks that absolutely hate her, and call her all sorts of names.

Heck, they almost ran her out of town when they found out that she had diabetes, but this latest crap is really over the top.

2. LarryTheCableGuy

LarryTheCableGuy Addicted to ArboristSite

I really don't care about her one way or the other - just as I feel about lots of celebrities.

I don't understand the dog piling either.

But she *did* actively campaign for Barack Obama.

3. KenJax Tree

KenJax Tree Terraphobic

I don't care either way about her,but it seems like the more she talks during her interviews and apologies the deeper hole she digs for herself.

4. mga

mga wandering

wesstern NY, the land of taxes and strict laws
    i agree with you guys 100%, i have little sympathy for celebs.

however, respect is a two way street. 30 years ago she made a racial slur and they want to hang her for that??? yet, all i hear is blacks calling blacks the "n" word, but god forbid if a white person says it.

if you want respect, you first have to respect yourself.

personally, i think there was just a coup to get rid of her, probably by some station's CEO's wife who doesn't like her. now she further belittles herself by making teary eyed apologies. i would respect her more if she just said: "hey, that was 30 years ago...get over it. i have".

politicians can drop their drawers and post their junk all over the internet, but, all they have to do is say "i'm sorry" and the public forgives them.

screw this double standard...maybe it's time people said enough is enough!

5. Fish

Fish Account Hold

Yeah, it is true, she is "dumb white trash" like me..... I cook with lotsa butter too.

6. Fish

Fish Account Hold

Yeah, she needs to keep off the interview circuit, let her sons pull it out.

7. Fish

Fish Account Hold

Naw, I have gotten into several online fights. The media event today involved a bunch of celebs, most have had gastric bypasses, and botox.

If any of them had been subjected to a microphone 14 years ago, would likely have some nasty quotes to defend as well.

8. Banacanin

Banacanin Addicted to ArboristSite

She was born and raised in the south during the middle of the last century and that was a time of tremendous social upheaval. Things have changed, a lot, and she is no damn radical. I recall people saying things they don't mean about Muslims right after 911. I recall people in Great Britain saying things about the Irish during the bombings and I remember the Irish saying things about the English during "the troubles". Prominent and famous figures used to say some wacko stuff about the Japanese and Germans. To this day, in Europe, when someone doesn't like what the German government is doing they bring up Hitler. Almost my entire generation is guilty of saying, at one time or another, "that's gay" or "that's retarded" for something that we didn't like. I can't say we are all guilty, but I will say most everyone is. The very worst thing a person says should not define who that person is, and all this holier than though crap buggers belief.

LarryTheCableGuy likes this.
  9. ozzy42

ozzy42 Addicted to ArboristSite

It's strange how words become offensive over time.I think retarded was th PC term back in the day .It was the kinder way to describe someone that would have otherwise been called stupid or dumb.

BOTOH When I was a kid ,you never would've heard the words piss or ##### on network tv.
    Now it is very common.

10. olyman

olyman Tree Freak

THAT alone,,changes my opinion about here.........................

11. Preston

Preston Addicted to ArboristSite

Hoooo, that's enough to casterate her right there. Hummm, I gotta figure that one out. The old gal oughta get the tar and feathers she asked for. Just another dem. But we cook with a lot a butter around here too. Savannah is to nice a town for her. Burma shave.

12. D&B Mack

D&B Mack Sawin Wit It!

She is ok with me, she likes bacon.

[video=youtube_share;f7IaczIIllQ]http://youtu.be/f7IaczIIllQ[/video]

13. Tree Feller

Tree Feller Semi Firewood Professional

But she *did* actively campaign for Barack Obama.[/QUOTE]

Well it's official then, I don't like her either!

14. jdc123

jdc123 ArboristSite Operative

I'm barely familiar with the woman, and I don't care what she said or when she said it, but if she's a liberal she is only reaping what she's sown. If there was anything to her she would have stood up for herself and let the chips fall where they may.

15. Dalmatian90

Dalmatian90 Addicted to ArboristSite

16. 2dogs

2dogs Addicted to ArboristSite

17. Dalmatian90

Dalmatian90 Addicted to ArboristSite

2dogs' article reminded me of something I meant to say before -- the plaintiff's lawyers have probably managed to slay the golden goose.

What they could win and especially could collect may now a fraction of what it was before this hit the news.

Some sharp lawyers & accountants could have a good part of her past income neatly hidden away behind legal firewalls, and now you don't have much of any future income to collect from.

18. Preston

Preston Addicted to ArboristSite

She has three restaurants in Savannah that most times has a 1 hour wait. Do you really thing the "poor" woman is going to starve. The racial managers just made a homey point. I wonder how she feels now that her own people turned on her. And I haven't heard one word of support from the very one she admired the most. I would say but this is not the place.

19. Stihlofadeal64

Stihlofadeal64 Addicted to ArboristSite

To me it is pathetic what happened. She did it years ago, apologized and is trying to move on, why lynch someone who shows good intention. Otherwise most rap songs I have ever seen are full of racial expletives by those who sing them (of the same race). I do believe there is more to the shake down, even though I can't prove a thing. I realize the lady is not going to starve, but she took a significant financial hit from the whole ordeal.

Now how many of us would like to be characterized by the things we were saying 30 years ago? Probably not even the ones who were slinging the mud in this instance. Incidentally, I am not a Deen fan either way --just hate to see the hypocrisy and making her a martyr for it is not justifiable when she apologized.

20. D&B Mack

D&B Mack Sawin Wit It!