We had a big cherry tree blow overi n our sheep pasture when i was a kid. Don't remember how many but several died from eating the leaves. Couple years later a walnut blew over and the same thing happened. My wife threw a bunch of green(not ripe) apples to our sheep one evening not knowing the seeds from green apples are toxic. Lost 2 the next day.If you believe the science, the wilted leaves are toxic to ruminants. I have cherry trees all along my fence line and I have never lost an animal to cherry poisoning. Wood should be just fine for cooking/smoking.