Is it time for an Echo stickie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s my CS 301 and CS 3000. I bought the 301 on Craigslist for $40 with the scabbard. He told me the fuel tank was leaking. It turned out that I had to reattach a fuel line. A bit of cleaning and it’s a peach.

I found the 3000 powerhead grown into the weeds behind a shop at an estate sale. I asked if it was for sale and they didn’t know they had it. They said to take it but I negotiated the price to $5.
The clutch cover was a mess but the rest was all there. I ordered a clutch cover for about $15 shipped and I had a 14” bar for it in my hoard. As I recall I kitted the carb and replaced a fuel line and a grommet in the oil tank, added a scabbard and it was good to go.

I have no idea what the difference is between these two models.
F96E92B4-E00A-4825-AB27-018FF0A28660.jpeg01347164-84C4-4185-AA3B-EA1B36E39047.jpeg77695930-5DCB-4230-A4F5-62834159EC84.jpeg

Since we now have an Echo sticky I’ll make a few more photo contributions.

Here’s my latest Echo project. I gave $20 for it at a flea market. It sat in my shop for a while but I finally got around to taking a look at. I had the scabbard but I had to order a carb kit and four orings for the oiler adjustment shaft which were easy to source. Everything else is original including the fuel lines and grommets. I assume the banana bar to be original. Runs like a top and has pretty good grunt. I’m gonna keep it on my motorhome.
View attachment 826948View attachment 826949View attachment 826950
The last Echo I picked up was a 280E, also. It’s a screaming little runner. I put it in the tool box on the truck. Only thing is the back of the recoil cover, over the oil fill is damaged. They fixed it with ductape and some kind of goop. I’m not pulling it off till I find a good replacement.

I think a 452 was the first Echo Dad bought. We only had a couple of them. We had all Homelites. I think the saw shop we used recommended he try them. They were good saws, but we stuck with the Homelites. I’ll have to check, but I think I recently found all the paper work and manuals for the 452. I know there was a card to buy an Echo work shirt for $5 in the manual. I’ll take pics of that and post the tomorrow.

I think a 452 was the first Echo Dad bought. We only had a couple of them. We had all Homelites. I think the saw shop we used recommended he try them. They were good saws, but we stuck with the Homelites. I’ll have to check, but I think I recently found all the paper work and manuals for the 452. I know there was a card to buy an Echo work shirt for $5 in the manual. I’ll take pics of that and post the tomorrow.
As much as I love my Homies, if I had to choose between a 452 or a Super Mini to run all day, every day back in the mid-late 70's, it would have been the Echo. At least in that displacement. I can't think of a saw manufacturer in the mid 70's that had the features Echo saws had. Both the Super Mini/EZ and the 452 pulled above their weight class for < 45 cc.

I hadn't dragged down the 550 in about 5-6 years. Right around when I threw a used ignition module on it. It still had 1/2 tank of 94 Super Supreme in it. Yes, I don't drain them. Wiped off the shop funk and fired it up. Didn't touch the throttle after it caught. Took a couple minutes to find itself again.

Still works.

Echo CS-550EVL (1).JPGEcho CS-550EVL (2).JPGEcho CS-550EVL (3).JPG

I hadn't dragged down the 550 in about 5-6 years. Right around when I threw a used ignition module on it. It still had 1/2 tank of 94 Super Supreme in it. Yes, I don't drain them. Wiped off the shop funk and fired it up. Didn't touch the throttle after it caught. Took a couple minutes to find itself again.

Still works.

View attachment 827698View attachment 827699View attachment 827700
That’s a cutie. I love the EVL series. I have a 330 but I’m always looking for other models.

Picked up another cs400 today should be here next week. Fingers crossed it hasn’t been straight gassed. If so then at least I have parts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233585003344
still haven’t pulled the trigger on that 452vl yet. Trying to hold out for one with a little more CC :)
I have tons of cs400/440 parts if you need anything. They are nice little saws.

I realized that I forgot to post a photo of the 1001 in the big fir log from a couple weekends ago.

IMG_0885.jpg

I used the same set up just this past weekend to mill a bunch of smaller stuff (<24" wide) in my parent's back yard. I'm sure their neighbours loved me! Saw ran great.

I can confirm that it pulls much harder than my 795 with the same b&c. I ran a ported 288 with a 36" 8 pin, skip b&c through the same fir and it was much, much faster than the echo.

Very nice ebay score.

My FIL has a CS-352 which is a fantastic little limbing saw. But, there have been many larger jobs done with that saw as it's the only one up at a cabin.... it's now on its 2nd bar and chain due to the first chain going dull and people up there just push harder and don't notice oil smoke! We get cabin visitors who use the thing so, it's not always under my supervision :)

It's lightweight and starts every time. All I do is every winter drain the gas out, leave the gas cap open in the garage. I was surprised to see one in a store recently for $270 new, though.

My Echo hoarding habit is getting worse. Here’s more saws that I recently acquired that I absolutely don’t need. I bought both of these from a forum member as projects. Both had been sitting for years. The CS452VL needed a bar and chain which I happened to have. I also gave it a good cleaning and lubed the starter spring. It fired right up on fresh fuel and runs great after a bit of tuning. The manual and automatic oiler work but needs new o rings on the oiler shaft.

The CS302S also fires right up on fresh fuel. It came with a bar and chain that was garbage but I had a 14” setup that works well. This one ran perfect. I didn’t even tune it. Oiler shaft o rings on this one were worn also. New o rings on order for both saws and they will both works as new.
Of course I added scabbards and I am on the hunt for a hand guard for the 452.
F38D796B-05AB-4F3B-B290-95083ABA3BAA.jpegD604B9AC-48A9-4F24-8CA2-8216320E2EC8.jpeg6A040D4B-0F09-49C8-BDC2-23870E46AECC.jpeg

Here’s my CS450. It is the only one that I bought new. It was a brand new model when I bought it over 10 years ago. The saw shop I bought it from sold Stihl and Echo. I looked at both and decided that the Echo looked like a better investment. The owner of the shop agreed and said that he sells more Stihls but he was an Echo fan himself.
It’s been bulletproof. Zero problems in over 10 years.
8809B3CA-D9E1-4DA9-A725-9D4F516CFDE2.jpegD008FAEB-4770-4096-8E89-D32C3E7BDCFB.jpeg

Hi There , working on a CS306 and can't find the sweet spot for the H needle. How many tuns out would you recommend?"
Thanks,

Lee
Lee, sorry I haven't checked in in a few weeks. Things got a little hectic. My daughter is a health care worker and she tested positive to Covid. She had no fever or symptoms. At the worse point she said it got as bad as a moderate cold for one day. Then we had to go get tested because we saw her a few days before she was confirmed positive. We tested negative and she is better now.

Anyway, carbs scare the death out of me. I can take one that runs good and make it run bad, and I can take one that runs bad, and make it run worse. If I mess with a carb the saw winds up filling a hole on the shelf.

I have a line on a few more Echo's. My dog Vet has a 602VL that some one traded her for services, years ago. My BIL works for her and couldn't get it started. I took it home and put fresh mix in it and it started right up and ran fine. Next day he couldn't get it started again. So, he stuck it in the shed and it's been there for at least 5 years. I'll offer her $10-$20 bucks for it. Then the Stihl dealer on the way to my farm in WV had a couple EVL's that customers left when he told them modules were no longer available. He said if they didn't come back for them by the 1st of the year I could have them. I went by his shop last week and the one was still sitting by his parking lot I think it was something in the 500 range. He wasn't in. Next time I go up, Ill check again.

Back