Is it time for an Echo stickie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on thank you! I haven’t messed with it yet just snapped some pictures. Looks well taken care of and has a nice Windsor bar on it. I’ll get the other saws out of the way before I dive into this one.
Not sure if that models the same but figured a heads up might help you can use a grommet to take up space for fuel or oil lines

Those saws are solid and I like the oiler and chrome on these older saws

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...thread-2020-pics-required.338664/post-7400441
Got around to checking/working out on the ECHO CS-500VL. I was excited when I noticed this saw at the guy's house because it must have had Reverse which I've never had a saw that could cut backwards.
So clean it up last night a little shined up the plug, had consistent fire, and saw runs with direct injection. Fuel filter looks new and fuel hose is soft and looks good. Hope to open up the carb tonight. The bar is 24" but I dont think the saw was meant to have a bar that long, Acres site suggest 16-20" max. Others may know better as this is my first Echo chainsaw. Bottom of fuel cap looks a bit nasty but I worked the duckbill loose to open/close. I'm guessing the black splooge is a rubber gasket that's bit the dust. Here's some pics:

Attachments

• CS500VL.jpeg
    CS500VL.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 12
  • CS500VL 2.jpeg
    CS500VL 2.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 11
  • CS500VL 3.jpeg
    CS500VL 3.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 9
  • CS500VL 5.jpeg
    CS500VL 5.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 7
  • CS500VL 4.jpeg
    CS500VL 4.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 9
  • CS500VL 6.jpeg
    CS500VL 6.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 8
  • CS500VL 7.jpeg
    CS500VL 7.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 9
  • CS500VL 8.jpeg
    CS500VL 8.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 10
  • CS500VL 9.jpeg
    CS500VL 9.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 11
So upon opening carb I notice the needle valve /metering side looks odd to me.
1) Seems the lever is sticking up way too high and will flood the carb when the diaphragm is in place
2) The fuel pump diaphragm looks to be on the wrong side of the carb body in relation to the gasket. Most pumper diaphragms are on the carb body, then the gasket
The spring was split in 2, so I replaced with a similar sized spring I had on hand but could those who know these Echo saws and this particular Walbro carb chime in on 1and 2.
Walbro HDB L3
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• CS500VL 12.jpeg
    CS500VL 12.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 9
  • CS500VL 13.jpeg
    CS500VL 13.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 8
  • CS500VL 14.jpeg
    CS500VL 14.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 9
After unloading a trailer full of birch I split for my folks, got back on the Echo and bent the lever to be just under level with the top of the carb body. Put the pumper diaphragm against the carb side gasket on top. A few pulls, some direct injection, and she roared to life. Idle was ridiculously high but I think I have it tuned pretty good for now. Put it into a 30"+ piece of mulberry and chain needs some work. Might need to put a new chain tensioner bolt on it as this one is bent and seems to slip around. Cool saw, glad I picked it up....again $17.77 aint bad price.

Attachments

• CS500VL 16.jpeg
    CS500VL 16.jpeg
    718.8 KB · Views: 11
  • CS500VL 17.jpeg
    CS500VL 17.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 11
After unloading a trailer full of birch I split for my folks, got back on the Echo and bent the lever to be just under level with the top of the carb body. Put the pumper diaphragm against the carb side gasket on top. A few pulls, some direct injection, and she roared to life. Idle was ridiculously high but I think I have it tuned pretty good for now. Put it into a 30"+ piece of mulberry and chain needs some work. Might need to put a new chain tensioner bolt on it as this one is bent and seems to slip around. Cool saw, glad I picked it up....again $17.77 aint bad price.
The 500VL is a great saw. Lots of jam. And, if they are tight, idle, throttle and cut really well. Mine came with a 24” bar, and the PO ran it that way at the sawmill it was born at. I prefer the 16” setup. 3/8” full comp semi chisel. Buried in some tight Doug Fir.

Picked up this clean CS-306 the other day for $30 previous owner said he used it for about two years and parked it for 6-7 years. It ran and cut but didn't want to tune right but a complete carb rebuild fixed it completely and looks to have gotten a new bar and chain before being parked.
Still has the original spur that looks to have 1-2 chains used on it. compression is excellent and has quite the oil pump. I have always loved echo equipment and now i have a new light weight wood cutter. Definitely going to keep this saw.
messaging_get_attachment.jpeg

I have several 300 series and like them all. I bought a 305 new and used it for my climbing saw for years. One day I clipped it to my belt on the short safety loop. I used a short loop to keep it from burning my leg, and a long lanyard for reaching out. When I clipped it on and let go, it hit the ground. The anti vibe block at the rear of the handle broke, and let my loop fall off. So, I stuck it on the shelf for a couple years. Last year I was ordering some parts for my Echo blower and got a new anti vibe piece. Put it on, and that little rascal fired right up and still runs great. It's back in the rotation, even though I don't climb any more.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...thread-2020-pics-required.338664/post-7400441
Got around to checking/working out on the ECHO CS-500VL. I was excited when I noticed this saw at the guy's house because it must have had Reverse which I've never had a saw that could cut backwards.
So clean it up last night a little shined up the plug, had consistent fire, and saw runs with direct injection. Fuel filter looks new and fuel hose is soft and looks good. Hope to open up the carb tonight. The bar is 24" but I dont think the saw was meant to have a bar that long, Acres site suggest 16-20" max. Others may know better as this is my first Echo chainsaw. Bottom of fuel cap looks a bit nasty but I worked the duckbill loose to open/close. I'm guessing the black splooge is a rubber gasket that's bit the dust. Here's some pics:
I just went out and my CS500 is too far up on the shelf, and the bar is behind other saws, but it's at least a 20", maybe a 24". Think I'll get it down. I might go over a friends house. I have a big willow stump I need to whittle down. It has dirt pockets all over it, so I'm not sticking any big saws in it. I'll try and cut around any crotches and make a pile of little uglies. Not going to worry about cutting nice stackable wood. Just getting it down to liftable weight to throw on brush pile.

I have several 300 series and like them all. I bought a 305 new and used it for my climbing saw for years. One day I clipped it to my belt on the short safety loop. I used a short loop to keep it from burning my leg, and a long lanyard for reaching out. When I clipped it on and let go, it hit the ground. The anti vibe block at the rear of the handle broke, and let my loop fall off. So, I stuck it on the shelf for a couple years. Last year I was ordering some parts for my Echo blower and got a new anti vibe piece. Put it on, and that little rascal fired right up and still runs great. It's back in the rotation, even though I don't climb any more.
Keep an eye out for the cs 3400, 341 top handle and 3450 rear handle it is the 33.4 cc version of the saw and they seem to be more desirable and can run the 16'' bar.

Took the CS500 off the shelf. It's been close to two years since I played with it. Tank was empty, Put a shot of mix in the carb, fired right up. Filled the tank, put another shot in the carb, fired right up, drawing form the tank fine. Shot a video and my cell went dead at 3 seconds. Thing sounds good for 3 seconds. I ran 2 tanks of fuel through it, runs pretty good. Now I have to figure out how to upload video's?

Took the CS500 off the shelf. It's been close to two years since I played with it. Tank was empty, Put a shot of mix in the carb, fired right up. Filled the tank, put another shot in the carb, fired right up, drawing form the tank fine. Shot a video and my cell went dead at 3 seconds. Thing sounds good for 3 seconds. I ran 2 tanks of fuel through it, runs pretty good. Now I have to figure out how to upload video's?
Upload them to YouTube then copy/paste the link to here in your post.

Thank you, I think that one sounds good also. My climber gave me 4-5 Echos when he retired, two 300 series, one a top handle, this one and a beautiful 750. Unfortunately, It's an EVL and the electronic module is gone All the others were good runners. He was actually my cousins climber for close to 40 years and he climbed for me on the side for the last 25 or so years.

Back