Is it time for an Echo stickie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, when I keyed this in I see someone else asked the same question back in 2018. I was cleaning up the garage and putting up some more shelves. I plan on one shelf, maybe the whole wall, being an Echo wall. First while cleaning I found a bunch of 14" chains hanging on a nail and knew they went to my CS305. Pulled it off a shelf where it's been sitting for at least 2 years. The plastic block where the top handle mounts to the chassis is cracked. Pulled the choke out and cranked 10-15 times and it started right up on the old gas, idles, revs, and sounds great. Then I found the CS500Vl a friend gave me close to two years ago. It had a little fuel in it, but I added some fresh to help out, and put a shot in the carb. Couple pulls and it fired right up. When my friend gave it to me he said it would start and idle fine, but you had to let it warm up for a good 10 minutes before it would run well at WOT. I tried blipping the throttle and it just would not rev up, it would kind of sputter and break down. After idling for about 10 minutes I picked it up and hit the trigger. Holy cow, that little bugger REVS! I can't wait to get it in some Ash this coming week. I think it will run circles around my MS290. Down stairs I had a 650EVL on the work bench. This saw was very clean, had great spark, but wouldn't fire. Pulled the muffler and there was a streak from the ports to the bottom of the piston skirt (if I'm remembering right). I think it was straight gassed very early in it's life. Last one today is a 750EVL given to me by the same friend that gave me the 500. The ignition module is gone on it. My BIL works on a farm and they have a 601VL that wouldn't run. I dumped the old fuel out, put fresh in, primed it and it ran like a champ. Then my BIL couldn't get it to run again. I think I'll offer Doc $20 for it. The 750 has a 28"bar, the 650 a 23", 500 20", and 305 14".

Well, that didn't last long, my Echo shelf is too small. I opened up a big Rubbermaid tub, Merry Christmas. It had the two little saws my buddy gave me when he retired, and moved to SC. The sticker is torn on both. One is a top handle and looks like a CS300, the other looks like it says CS345. Both started up. One is leaking bar oil, the bottom of the tub was pretty full of it.20200108_101326.jpg

When Dad was in business in the 70's-80's we were pretty much all Homelite. For some reason he tried a couple Echos and they were really nice saws. Even today I think they are under rated. People seem to lump them in with the cheap Homelites and Macs of today. They are much better saws. You don't by chance have an electronic model for the 750 do you? I have a nice 750 with no spark.

When Dad was in business in the 70's-80's we were pretty much all Homelite. For some reason he tried a couple Echos and they were really nice saws. Even today I think they are under rated. People seem to lump them in with the cheap Homelites and Macs of today. They are much better saws. You don't by chance have an electronic model for the 750 do you? I have a nice 750 with no spark.

I agree. Their current line up though I believe is changing the narrative. Their top handle saws are taking over the arborist world IMO.

I dont have a module. Are those electronic ignitions or points?

My CS4400 leaks bar oil. A LOT of it. Havent tried to find out why yet. Its a reliable saw, just not in the power to weight range I like.

My CS4400 leaks bar oil. A LOT of it. Havent tried to find out why yet. Its a reliable saw, just not in the power to weight range I like.
The pick up tube off the pump is not a tight enough seal so when the pressure in the tank expands oil will leak from where the rubber hose attaches to the pump. It can be fixed with a good sealant.
I’d like to find a professional type Echo smaller than 50cc for a special application like brushing and falling 6” trees. Any suggestions? I’m interested in a current model.

Amazingly there was never an Echo sticky set up over in the Chainsaw Sticky subforum.

I've liked the Echo equipment I have owned used. Only knock is the availability of parts on the newer ones. You are stuck paying MSRP or Ebay ransom if you need something.

The pick up tube off the pump is not a tight enough seal so when the pressure in the tank expands oil will leak from where the rubber hose attaches to the pump. It can be fixed with a good sealant.
I’d like to find a professional type Echo smaller than 50cc for a special application like brushing and falling 6” trees. Any suggestions? I’m interested in a current model.
All of the 300 series are in the 33CC range. I like the rear handle models best, never really liked top handles. My little 305 is about 20 years old and still runs great. I bought it as a climbing saw. The 346 my buddy gave me looks like a newer version of the 305. The brand new ones don't look that much different. I'd say the CS300's that I have run are pretty easy on par with my MS170. I haven't run one in so long, I've kind of lost perspective. I ordered the part I need for the handle on the 305. I'll take the 305 and 346 out this weekend with the 170 and see what I think.

That's an electronic model. They were prone to failure.

I'll bite. I love my Echos.
echo.jpg

Well, I had to go back 30 pages to find this post. I saw 10-12 Echo questions? Since I made my Echo only shelf, it's run out of space 3 times. Might have to start a second shelf. Picked up a little 280E yesterday for $20. I only wanted to go about ten, but I know the owner, and he guaranteed it would run. Put one shot of mix in the carb and it fired on the second pull. Had to prime it 3 more times and it started drawing from the tank and runs and sounds great. Air filter is really bad, my dealer is checking if he can get one. It's pretty clean under the hood. There is some kind of patch/fix on the starter cover, may have to find a new cover. Other wise I'm very happy with this one, it's so cute.

Latest posts

Back