Is it time for an Echo stickie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I’ve run into a couple of carbs that had residual water sitting in them. HDC’s. The water had caused the aluminum to corrode somewhat at the seat of the metering needle. Pitted. No assortment of new kits/needles or spring stretching could get them to keep from popping off early. I imagine ethanol fuels tend to exacerbate the potential for water to stay mixed in the fuel. Especially if it is there from the fueling station. No ethanol and the water isn’t soluble.
Corey,I dumped the fuel out immediately.This happened only 2 weeks ago,hardly enough time for water to cause any damage to the carb by sitting over time.

Misunderstood. Thought you implied it sat for two years in the previous post. Suspected it sat with water laden fuel over that time.
No,it sat for 2 yrs.with an empty tank.This summer I got it out & fueled it up & had it running nicely.2 weeks ago is when I had the episode with the bad fuel.

??? Echo CS-306 swap parts from rear to TOP Handle ???
Ok, I've considered this before... and swap to smaller BC
Currently its got 14" BC and the rear handle is reliable to handle and control & kickback safety.
Cat is gone and limiters reset. Chews like a rabid beaver
I've got extra saw chain and bar which would go to waste.
What are the Pro / Con
I think I'm just being "grass is greener".
Talk me out of it...

You're not gonna believe this but it wasn't bad fuel in the 500EVL after all.I was putting saws away off my porch after noticing a couple of saws had been stolen & decided to fiddle with the Echo.I got it fired up & it acted the same - no pwer,wouldn't throttle up or idle,& stall out.I thought I'd try changing the plug - bingo.I put a new plug in it & it fired right up.I had to make a couple minor carb adjustments & it's screaming to get into some wood.Sometimes I can be a real dumb ass.

You're not gonna believe this but it wasn't bad fuel in the 500EVL after all.I was putting saws away off my porch after noticing a couple of saws had been stolen & decided to fiddle with the Echo.I got it fired up & it acted the same - no pwer,wouldn't throttle up or idle,& stall out.I thought I'd try changing the plug - bingo.I put a new plug in it & it fired right up.I had to make a couple minor carb adjustments & it's screaming to get into some wood.Sometimes I can be a real dumb ass.
Enjoy that saw will put a smile on your face:chainsaw:

Stopped by my favorite Stihl dealer today. He has a pile of old Echo's, I brought home another 750EVL. Also brought home a pioneer 700 and a Homelite XL 850. Next time I go by I'm going to take a better look at the Echo's. He also showed me several NOS EVL coils he said a friend gave him. I have a minty 750 already, with a dead ignition. I'm going to pull the coil and see if by chance one of the NOS ones fit my 750.
kMKaqDB.jpg

myUH1Ph.jpg

Another member who's local to me once picked up a mint 750 with owners manual from an estate sale for cheap. She was a beaut. I kind of want to port one see if I can't get some rpm's out of it.

Another member who's local to me once picked up a mint 750 with owners manual from an estate sale for cheap. She was a beaut. I kind of want to port one see if I can't get some rpm's out of it.
I have one its not a real high screamer seems more like a big block to me
An aggressive chain probably hard to stop the torque on the beast
Its like an 80s dirt bike sound imo burapppp:chainsaw:

I grew up in a 4th generation tree service. When I started working for Dad he had recently switched over from Macs to Homelites. But now and then he would try new saws. We liked every Echo we tried, and thought they were a heck of a good saw for the price. But, when a company goes brand specific, it doesn't mean they think all the other brands stink. It's just that you only have one dealer to deal with, parts interchangeably, and just overall familiarity. I have more Echo's now than I did back in the day. Just wish I could find a cure for the bad EVL ignitions.

Got a nice Echo CS 530 that is very clean, but the previous owner straight gassed it. Piston is scored but it turns freely, might be able to use the existing cylinder once its cleaned up.

I have it up for trade in the Trading Post, might just sell it outright though.

Attachments

• DSC05832.JPG
    DSC05832.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC05866.JPG
    DSC05866.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC05839.JPG
    DSC05839.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 7
Echo 1201, full chisel full skip 47” over barred in 30” English oak

Stihl 084 semi chisel slightly dull chain 32” bar

I was just messing about this morning and thought I’d shoot the vids. It’s not an Echo v Stihl comparison by any means. The 084 comes out with me regularly, the 1201 is more an itch that I occasionally scratch

Friend of mine picked this up for $60 at a yard sale along with a couple other late model craftsman saws. Runs but won’t stay idling so I let him borrow one of my cs400’s while I look into this one. Figure I’ll fix the craftsman’s and keep this one as payment that way he won’t ruin it. Dude doesn’t know much about saws he just cuts orchard wood to heat his shop. I’ll give this one a good home and it will be my first “vintage” Echo. Man these things are built solid. DF88A6FC-C4A0-4095-B357-DCEA95B711FC.jpeg07D1A54E-BDDF-407E-A1BE-E3E00D0B7EB3.jpegA8001043-68BF-4005-ACA2-DBD2F26C51EB.jpeg92341373-CB63-4C8A-A623-1B063F1C90B6.jpeg25C37D92-ED17-4FF5-BD75-8755DE0739DA.jpeg

Friend of mine picked this up for $60 at a yard sale along with a couple other late model craftsman saws. Runs but won’t stay idling so I let him borrow one of my cs400’s while I look into this one. Figure I’ll fix the craftsman’s and keep this one as payment that way he won’t ruin it. Dude doesn’t know much about saws he just cuts orchard wood to heat his shop. I’ll give this one a good home and it will be my first “vintage” Echo. Man these things are built solid. View attachment 874156View attachment 874157View attachment 874158View attachment 874159View attachment 874160
Nice saw

On my 750 the oe fuel lines had bubble ends that seal carb box

If you use regular lines make sure bubbled ends dont have a sealing function too

Nice saw

On my 750 the oe fuel lines had bubble ends that seal carb box

If you use regular lines make sure bubbled ends dont have a sealing function too
Right on thank you! I haven’t messed with it yet just snapped some pictures. Looks well taken care of and has a nice Windsor bar on it. I’ll get the other saws out of the way before I dive into this one.

Back