Is it time, to get with the times?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRamsdell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, haven't posted here in a long time. Ive been cutting with 3 saws my preferred saw is a jonsered/husky hybrid 40cc started as a husky 440e, great little saw... but little. When the going gets tough, i grab an old husky 51 and up until recently i had a big fat mcculloch for whatever that wouldnt handle. Well... the mcculloch had a failure and its obsolete for sure, im not fixing it, i set it aside. Well, now the 51 is noticably worn out, to the point where its not stronger than the 440 anymore. So my initial thoughts were to refresh the 51, but even if i do, even if i woods port it, it still can't pull a 20-24 inch bar like i could with the mcculloch... its just not big enough. So i got looking at newer used husqvarna xp models, biggest "new" i can really get in my budget would be a 550xp (and i know what kind of issues they have been) or i can go older and get into 60cc territory but we're talking about 66's and such. Or i could maaaaybe swing a new 460 homeowner saw which tbh is all i need for the small amount of cutting i do.

All that to say this, comparing cc's and weight, the new saws are not really lighter, to get the cc's to weight of the old 51/55 you have to go xp, the homeowner saws are heavier by a bit. i suppose they spin faster? Are they more powerful? What am i missing here? Advice? Suggestions? Buy stihl? Haha

You are missing nothing.

The new saws (Huskys and Stihls anyway)are overcomplicated, unreliable pieces of **** when compared to the best of the last generation of saws. Imho. Ha!

The only improvements that have been made (and only in some cases) are more refined handling, ergonomics, and antivibe.

Several "3" series huskies come to mind as good upgrades to what you have now; 353,346,365,359,357 all would be good choices

Certain modern Dolmars and even Echos are quite desirable, and cheaper too. Most of their current offerings are one step behind the big two in technology (which is a good thing, imo).

You are missing nothing.

The new saws (Huskys and Stihls anyway)are overcomplicated, unreliable pieces of **** when compared to the best of the last generation of saws. Imho. Ha!

Lol, I want to disagree with that statement but there is some truth to it.

Newer cheaper saws are pretty bad, the poulan 3314 is notorious for running poorly out of the box brand new, today.

I bought a 550xp last year and it’s been a headache since day 1.

However, it doesn’t sound very logical to me that because I had a bad 550 that they are all junk.
There are many reports of issues, but there are just as many if not more of people with zero problems.
I have heard of problems with stihl and there mtronic saws too, guess the newer tech is just starting to shape up.

On another note I bought a new 372 x torq which is a strato saw and runs very well, pulls hard and IMO is just as reliable as the older saws it replaced.

I have to wonder what the older generation honestly thinks, gotta remember that the way we communicate didn’t exist in the 70’s and &0’s. so back then if a saw was sold and was a lemon it was just shared among friends and not millions of people who use google and find out. Makes me wonder how many of the old saws had their fair share of quality control issues back in the day, we just don’t hear about it as much cause it only spread through word of mouth at the time.

I would make an educated guess that the pro saws of yesteryear had just as many issues as the pro saws today of equivalent price.

But I’m sure someone will disagree, claiming it’s better for the average joe to go out and buy a saw that’s 20 years old and fix it up. Not a bad idea for an enthusiast but the average joe don’t know how to fix stuff up properly, let alone have the specialty tools to do so.

In reality strato saws aren’t going away and they have proven themselves. The new computer controlled saws are slowly proving themselves and the fuel efficiency of these saws goes a very long way to a pro logger/arborist. The extra tech is worth it IMO even if all the bugs aren’t fully ironed out yet.

I have a H445, I wouldn't mind a little more grunt with a 16"bar, but it gets through whatever it is and sure have been impeccable reliable.

I have a H445, I wouldn't mind a little more grunt with a 16"bar, but it gets through whatever it is and sure have been impeccable reliable.
And other than felling a tree on the 440 (can hardly blame that on the manufacturer :oops:) it really is a good homowner saw, and that's all i am. Looking at the 460 and considering i can get gently used for under 300, its really hard to say no. Except that i can find some older stihls for the same budget; 038av, ms660, 066mag, 031av or some older huskys from the early 90's

And other than felling a tree on the 440 (can hardly blame that on the manufacturer :oops:) it really is a good homowner saw, and that's all i am. Looking at the 460 and considering i can get gently used for under 300, its really hard to say no. Except that i can find some older stihls for the same budget; 038av, ms660, 066mag, 031av or some older huskys from the early 90's

Look at the echo 590 60cc and pro style construction. It can be found for under 400 new.

I've rebuilt many of the newest generation
Saws for customers.
Husqvarna stihl dolmar etc.
I'll run and do run any of 1 and 2 series husqvarnas 266 mainly
Over anything made today.
If buying new the echo/shindaiwa line are very good saws very reasonable sub 350.00 ebay.
I had 590s that would run with 360 361 stihls
Much simpler design than the big 2

So a homeowner saw in a bigger cc like a 460 or a jonsered 2255 would not be worth it ?
I'm sure a 460 will do you well for firewood cutting. Granted it's not a mag case pro saw like the majority will suggest to you, but there is nothing wrong with them. I have seen the 455 cut tons of firewood and still going strong.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

For the money the Echo 590, 60 cc, is hard to beat. This past weekend at the Paul Bunyan Festival the Echo dealer was blowing them out at $299!!!!! If I didn’t have 2 I would have bought one.
That's a good price on a rugged reliable saw. Not as light or fast as some other saws but they are a great saw for the money.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The echo 590 looks good and may be on my short list. Unfortunately i have to postpone the saw buying for now due to unforseen expenses. In the meantime I'll have to get choosey and cut smaller trees the 440 can take on its own. I guess this gives me time to think through all the options and talk to lots of folks before pulling the trigger.

The H445 here on this side of the pond is 45cc, it comes with a 13" bar. It seems to me the H440 is much the same saw but a half kg lighter - I wouldn't mind that at all.
I like the 445 a lot and I definitely consider it a keeper so I would probably like the 460 as well, in fact a H440/H460 combo seems to me quite an ideal inventory.

Anyway if you consider Echo I'm quite sure you would like it too, I sure would consider Echo if I was to invest in a 60cc saw.
In fact I would consider Echo if I was to buy any saw at all, I have one Echo and it is an utterly satisfying feeling to get high quality without having to pay the extra 20% for the name tag.

Get with the times. These guys must still hook up the horse and buggy to go to town. :hi: Axes, single and two man crosscut saws never have bearing, fuel line or carb issues.

Back