Is logging still a viable career path?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know too many guys that have been hurt dominoing trees, i dont even like pushing 2, use it when needed but it makes me real nervous.

That and i have to hand limb em, a big ole pile of **** just is a gods damn pain to dig through
This is how I just about killed myself in the woods. Tried knocking a springy elm over with a rather large oak. The elm never went, just sprung the oak back at me and caught me good. Happened so fast I had absoolutely not a second to react. After 4 years or so, that scenario still plays out in my head like ptsd or a bad dream I can't stop thinking about.

Well things at the shop went all kinds of sideways and they restructured the management. I felt it was as good of time as any for a change so i made the call and took the leap. This is my second week and so far its been alright. I was definitely out of shape. Ofcourse i came on right on time to get broke in on some hard maple grade jobs. I find myself disappointed in the quality of husqvarna's bars....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Well things at the shop went all kinds of sideways and they restructured the management. I felt it was as good of time as any for a change so i made the call and took the leap. This is my second week and so far its been alright. I was definitely out of shape. Ofcourse i came on right on time to get broke in on some hard maple grade jobs. I find myself disappointed in the quality of husqvarna's bars....

excellent

Husqvarna bars are just repainted Oregon bars.

Thanks for letting us know. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

This is how I just about killed myself in the woods. Tried knocking a springy elm over with a rather large oak. The elm never went, just sprung the oak back at me and caught me good. Happened so fast I had absoolutely not a second to react. After 4 years or so, that scenario still plays out in my head like ptsd or a bad dream I can't stop thinking about.

I should have just destroyed that stupid ****ing hunting stand with that big oak up the hill and it never would have happened. That day still bugs me too.

I went the other way. I took the safe route. Wife works part time and only one kid at this point. It's not my dream job but it's good money, paid holidays, vacation, insurance. Nice having a paycheck you can count on. I wanna really pad the savings before I make a change.

This thread needs an update.

So busy he can't reply? Had to sell his computer for groceries and can't respond?

Inquiring minds need to know

This thread needs an update.

So busy he can't reply? Had to sell his computer for groceries and can't respond?

Inquiring minds need to know
Well I'm still sending it. Had a rough month though. Ash trees have been after me. Went to the er today. Got swatted in the knee.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hope your knee heals quickly. Ron
Thanks. Me too. Go to an orthopedic dr Thursday. We'll see how bad then. Guess it's pretty good when you have set it back straight to get out of the woods.

Well I'm still sending it. Had a rough month though. Ash trees have been after me. Went to the er today. Got swatted in the knee.

Good to hear you're still after it. I was just joking about selling the computer for groceries.

Hopefully the knee turns out alright.

I stayed in a lower income job because I just loved what I was doing. I don't have any regrets sacrificing money over happiness. Enjoying your work is very valuable and shouldn't be ignored. But I was also lucky in that I didn't need the health care benefits that came with a better paying job. If I had I may feel different.

Could I suggest that if you go for subcontracting whatever the T&Cs are get it IN WRITING the verbal contract tends to wander/ alter somewhat & if you don't record it (who does) it's a word against word "jobbie" +it's amazing how things change were the $ is concerned whatever expect the worst & safeguard yourself then if it turns out OK it's a + There are many good people out there but the something for nothing/very little seems to be a growing trend world wide.

Yeah so it's been about a month. Havent been "working". But I've stayed busy with my own work. Looking like I might be done logging. At least with this company. It was alot of let us know what you need at first. But quickly turned into you're on your own when they found out I wouldnt be back to work by the end of the week. Some talk of loaning me money but none about the medical bills or lost income. Looking like a lesson well learned.

Yeah so it's been about a month. Havent been "working". But I've stayed busy with my own work. Looking like I might be done logging. At least with this company. It was alot of let us know what you need at first. But quickly turned into you're on your own when they found out I wouldnt be back to work by the end of the week. Some talk of loaning me money but none about the medical bills or lost income. Looking like a lesson well learned.

Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up. I reread some of the earlier posts, can't believe this thread is nearly a year old, and it's kinda chilling how some of it played out. The good thing is you have your trade and skills to fall back on.

Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up. I reread some of the earlier posts, can't believe this thread is nearly a year old, and it's kinda chilling how some of it played out. The good thing is you have your trade and skills to fall back on.
Really at a "what now" moment in my life. Small farms are all but dead here now. Which is what I was raised on. Probably where mine mindset to stay away from big businesses comes from and the need to be outside. I either have to settle and fall back into a small shop or factory. Or I move out the area in hopes of making more money at a big place. Just unsure right now.... Really do love being in the woods just cant risk another situation like this.

Really at a "what now" moment in my life. Really do love being in the woods just cant risk another situation like this.

I read every post from the beginning of your trials and tribulations about a year ago until this week's "What now" moment. And I'd like to ask, are you glad you tried it?

When you hurt your knee I thought "Oh, ****!" I did not see anyone offer the fact that logging is the most deadly profession in America, which it still is, we've lost 9 thus far this year here in Oregon. I kept thinking about your family that need a consistent pay check and the 4 little ones who need their Dad. When you get busted up, it's over, and what was so easy at 29 becomes damned hard at my age of 58, twice yours.

Here in Oregon logging fell on such hard times in our little communities that people turned against each other - it's not the same as it was. The smaller the outfit the closer you were to bottom man on the totem pole too - sound familiar? Some great outfits made it through but there was plenty of human casualties too. Hard times came, the number of unemployed, on food stamps, working two jobs, divorced, and the suicides - all followed. Timber prices were at record highs this past spring are headed for half the value this winter, few businesses have that volatility.

And so I wondered (considering the machinist skills you have), about all the outdoor jobs (sounds like you would enjoy the outdoors) that involve servicing equipment that could provide experience, a solid wage, and were much less dangerous and would maybe more stable than the timber industry is. Men that work for Caterpillar or other heavy equipment firms at mines, oil wells, and landings all over the country could answer that better than I.

So as for your "What now moment..." That's only natural. Perhaps make a list. Maybe ask you family for input. Get their support and get some prospects going. Parlay what you have toward where you want to be. Make some long range goals too.

I'll go back to minding my own business now (I'm retired) and hope you check back in here again down the road - lots of good people here are obviously hoping you succeed. Me too.

Best of luck to you!

Back