Is my aspen dying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnGalt36

Reaction score
I have a problem with one of my aspen trees and can't find any problems online that match it. I'm in Idaho (zone 5b) and just bought a house. It appears as though this tree has been cut back before, but I'm not sure why it hasn't succeeded like the other one.

Any insight is appreciated.

NJcY9ju.jpg

QAVQlIm.jpg

LRmEHaQ.jpg

Interesting. Would you recommend digging it out a bit? Is the tree done for since it's planted too deep?

There was a significant amount of undergrowth beneath the tree that I cleared out today and it probably lowered the soil level a good 4 inches around the tree as well.

Wow...you already lowered it 4"? You should see the root collar - where the trunk flares out into the main structural roots right at the surface.

I doubt that tree stands much of a chance. But know for the next one you plant, make sure it is as the correct depth. The often come from the nurseries too deep - I have to scrape 3-4" off the top of the root ball before planting many trees....

4" might be on the high end, but somewhere around there. We bought the house with these trees in, so I have no idea how they were planted. The other one is doing quite nicely, though.

Thank you for your responses.

Latest posts

Back