Is our job toxic to our lungs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Not around here you wouldn't. It's about $200, and not selling well.

I quit splitting wood, as there is no demand. I threw away all our prime splitting oak last year. ...along with all the other wood.
I can not imagine what you are saying. I keep a log on calls and web requests for products and services. Last year I had over 5,000 web hits. Then I turned away 600 people who I personally talked to on the phone. Then You tell me you can not give away your products and services. I have a friend who lives in your State that has a few acres of forested land. She said if I take them out to dinner I could use her land to stockpile as much wood as possible. The problem is there is no way to import wood into California. Already tried. My truck and trailer can move up to 13 cords at a time but it is not going past the border. Thanks

$800 a cord sounds ludicrous but then California is also the land of $4 gasoline. I think if I guy is going to sell firewood and thats all he does he can find the buyers and it will be a lot of work but can be profitable. If youre running a tree service it can be a side hustle since you already have the tools and the guys but then it turns into a real estate problem because though there is money in firewood it takes up a lot of room. Last summer we were selling for $80 a cord as logs to some dude that was processing and he was selling at $350 split and delivered but our boss would get pissed if we brought it back to the yard as things were pretty tight parking all the trucks and chippers.

I would have to say that about any deadwood run through a chipper is bad news for the lungs. I didn't notice it so much when we had our smaller disc chipper but when we got a bigger drum chipper I could see the difference with dust hanging in the air around that chipper. The one tree that always bothered me the most was Sycamore . It didn't matter if I was chipping the wood or cutting with a saw that dust especially in summer would get in my lungs and I would cough non stop till my lungs cleared out . It wasn't just me either anyone working with me had trouble . It got to the point where I would refuse to work on those trees .

I would have to say that about any deadwood run through a chipper is bad news for the lungs. I didn't notice it so much when we had our smaller disc chipper but when we got a bigger drum chipper I could see the difference with dust hanging in the air around that chipper. The one tree that always bothered me the most was Sycamore . It didn't matter if I was chipping the wood or cutting with a saw that dust especially in summer would get in my lungs and I would cough non stop till my lungs cleared out . It wasn't just me either anyone working with me had trouble . It got to the point where I would refuse to work on those trees .
I was reading through this thread and already planning on commenting about Sycamore when I read your post. Sycamore is probably the worst for dust/chipping in our area.

I can not imagine what you are saying. I keep a log on calls and web requests for products and services. Last year I had over 5,000 web hits. Then I turned away 600 people who I personally talked to on the phone. Then You tell me you can not give away your products and services. I have a friend who lives in your State that has a few acres of forested land. She said if I take them out to dinner I could use her land to stockpile as much wood as possible. The problem is there is no way to import wood into California. Already tried. My truck and trailer can move up to 13 cords at a time but it is not going past the border. Thanks
I wish the border issue wasn't what it is but...what can we do? I would send you flatbed semi loads of wood if we could get something worked out legally.

$800 a cord sounds ludicrous but then California is also the land of $4 gasoline. I think if I guy is going to sell firewood and thats all he does he can find the buyers and it will be a lot of work but can be profitable. If youre running a tree service it can be a side hustle since you already have the tools and the guys but then it turns into a real estate problem because though there is money in firewood it takes up a lot of room. Last summer we were selling for $80 a cord as logs to some dude that was processing and he was selling at $350 split and delivered but our boss would get pissed if we brought it back to the yard as things were pretty tight parking all the trucks and chippers.
I am very thankful to get high prices for wood and they are going higher maybe. Probably most important as compared to other areas good hard wood is difficult to find. Then for most part the wood has to be handled and stacked some where before selling it. I am sure that most people understand that off season wood does not sell as well. I would guess for summer prices are going to be $500 to $600 which is good but with hiring people to help profit margin is not always great. In this area short term rental homes are springing up every where. People here that come to the mountains expect that their home will have a fire place and plenty of wood to burn. For those that think that a tree trimmer or tree removal company can sell fire wood are wrong. I know several companies that remove trees and they do not try to sell wood even though many have tried. One either sells wood or removes trees but not both. It is way too complicated to run two businesses. I am trying to capitalize on bundled wood and short term rental supplies. Would like to hear how others are making their enterprises successful. Thanks

I wish the border issue wasn't what it is but...what can we do? I would send you flatbed semi loads of wood if we could get something worked out legally.
I can not imagine the cost and complications to haul wood across the border. To get the wood through a kiln has been running about $160 a cord and then the handling cost. Then at any time some one could say let me check this or that out so wait. there is quite a bit of Oak in California and yes quite tough to access it. After all those problems I would love to get numerous semi loads of Oak. Thanks

Ya for us it was just beer money for the crew, the upside for the owner of the business was less wear and tear on the chipper, and less dump fees in Anchorage they were like $7 a yard. Also the beer fridge was always full of the boss' favorite IPA

Fire is too valueless to transport, unless you're talking tractor trailer loads. For the tonnage of what split firewood is, even a couple cords forget it unless of course you're getting a good delivery charge. If you called FedEx for a delivery charge on one bush cord equivalent of anything the same weight and volume, you would have a heart attack

Back