Is something missing from this HT103?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CacaoBoy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a new Stihl HT103 pole saw yesterday. When getting ready to start it for the first time I noticed that on the bottom of the chain oil tank/gearbox there are 3 screws plus an additional hole indicated by the red arrow. The metal piece in the middle of that hole is threaded as if a 4th screw might be there. There was a light coating of clear grease around that metal piece. The dealer is 100 miles away so I cannot conveniently run by to ask them if something is missing. There is nothing helpful in the owner's manual.

upload_2018-6-29_15-39-45.png

There is the oil pump located. Does your gearhead oil well? If yes, everything is fine. For me it seems that there is nothing missing.
The chain seems to be getting oil, although unlike my saws it is not in such a quantity that I can see evidence of the chain throwing off oil when it runs. The volume in the oil tank did go down as I ran it about 20 minutes on its first time out. I can find nothing obvious on the machine to adjust the oil flow, and the while the owner's manual says to ensure the chain is throwing oil it includes no information on adjusting the flow.

I was searching a little bit and on the older HT gearhead the oil delivery rate was around 7.5 cm³/min. On the newer version the oil delivery rate was reduced, but at the moment I`m not able to find the exact oil delivery rate for the new version. Just as information. I`m really sure that everything is ok with your gearhead.

I was searching a little bit and on the older HT gearhead the oil delivery rate was around 7.5 cm³/min. On the newer version the oil delivery rate was reduced, but at the moment I`m not able to find the exact oil delivery rate for the new version. Just as information. I`m really sure that everything is ok with your gearhead.
Thanks for the response. I also contacted Stihl and they say "The oil pump on the HT103 pole pruner is fixed flow and is non-adjustable. The bar & chain oil circulates inside the bar rails via the chain drive links, so very little oil will be visible on the cutter teeth and outer bar rails."
It just strikes me as odd that the manual says to ensure there is adequate oil flow and contains a drawing showing big drops flying off the bar, but has no way to adjust the flow and one probably would not notice a problem until after there was damage to the bar and/or chain.

Latest posts

Back