Is the MS251 a good step up from a 180?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks fellas.

What's the difference in the 250, 251 ?
Same displacement, 250 rubber anti vibe 32mm stroke. 251 spring anti vibe, 30mm stroke, Strato engine design, hd2 air filter will fit, only one bar nut/stud.

They are a bit more displacement than 241 and not auto tune.

My brother has a 180. It has no balls. I’ve got a 251C-BE and its great for what it is. Sips fuel and zero issues with the one bar nut/ tool-less tensioner like some claim. That being said, the easy start is a stupid feature on this size saw. I usually take it and my Dolmar 7900 out to the woods. I’d have zero use for anything smaller...

Just sold a ms251 cbe for $340 on CL. Muffler mod woke it up Nicely and it was a fun limbing saw.

Weesy

If the choice was 250 or 251, I'd pick the 251 for the better air filter system, which stays cleaner longer. Both can be had with easy start and/or the tool-less chain tensioner. Tool-less tensioner is pointless because you're still going to carry the scrench to change spark plug/open cover/remove air filter (depending on which saw you have). The easy start is great when you start the saw up in a tree for cutting branches.

The only advantage to a pro saw for me would be adjustable oiler, and being able to set the squish if needed.

Back