Is the shop lying to me and next steps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodLuvr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I bought a used Stihl MS660 about a year ago from a local repair shop that seemed to have a good reputation. I have only used it about four times overall and was always running it on Stihl brand premix until this last time when I decided to mix my own because every store was out of everything on the shelves because of hurricane Michael and I needed to cut a tree off my house. I had some Mercury outboard 2 cycle oil laying around that I used in the appropriate ratio. I figured 2 stroke is 2 stroke and it wouldn't be a problem. Now this saw was always hard for me to start already but after I mixed the fuel this time I quickly found that the only way I could get it started was with my finger on the throttle and then after it started it wouldn't stay running. I took it in and they are now telling me that it "blew up". They said it needs a new piston and head and that the damage was caused by the oil I used. Said Stihl saws only like Stihl brand oil and I just shoulda known and that different brands of oil are specifically formulated for only that brand of motor. Now this really doesn't make sense to me because they also sell and recommend using "TruFuel" premix as a cheaper alternative to Stihl and I'm pretty sure that it's not made specifically for Stihl chainsaws and will work in pretty much any 2 stroke just fine. They said the cost to repair the saw will be around 750 bucks. I paid $900 for it. Are they deceiving me?

I think it's possible the saw was already on it's last leg and another thing that makes me suspicious is that a couple years prior to this I brought in a vintage all metal Homelite Blue saw to them that I couldn't get to stay running and they told me it needed rebuilt and said parts are near impossible to source so they offered a trade in credit on a new saw. I purchased an MS250 from them at that time. I later bought the used 660 from them after quickly realizing I needed something bigger.

So I need a second opinion. What is the truth? Also, I have decided I am going to make the repairs myself. What do I need to know in order to get this fixed? Where is the cheapest source of OE Stihl parts and how do I get the service manual?

Thank You All!

To me my first thought was carb. L screw is set wonky. Take limiter caps off if theyre there and retune it to stock per stihl. All the way in and ccw 1 full turn.

Stihl 025 for sale
Stihl 250 for sale
Stihl 441 for sale
Stihl 441c for sale
Personal Saws
Stihl 201t
Stihl 260 pro
Stihl 460

Please read my post. Thanks.

I think the replies were perfect for your request. I'd love to see pictures of the cylinder through the exhaust, how else to give even a small hint as to a real answer. High quality chainsaw oils are different than outboard oil. But unless you ran that thing for a little while, it quit running, it didn't suddenly blow up. And lastly, $750 is too high for a jug replacement.

I think you got great replies from people who read your post. I think you could post more details, such as how long you ran it on outboard oil. ANd pics of the inside if you choose not to have it rebuilt by the shop.

Marine outboard oil does not have the correct additives in it for cooling purposes. You should not have used that oil. Shops charge $100 hr around here, I would say two hour job plus parts with mark up around $650

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, $900 for a used 660? They ripped you off once already!

You should get some pictures of the piston and cylinder and post them hear for a better opinion. We cant twll you for certain if its blown up or needs a new top end or not. The outboard oil is not a good move. It can damage a saw however, that's all my father use to use in his saws and he put many hours on them. Maybe he just mixed it rich and had good luck, idk.

Let's see the damage and we'll be able to give you a better answer.

More than likely the Marine oil thing is irrelevant, and you ran a saw that was not running right, kept using it until it would no longer run.
But who can say.
Then you put up a rambling post, throwing out chunks of meat, seeing what is biting....
Then are mad when we are not jumping through the correct hoops?
Or just trolling?
It isn't even winter yet!!!

I cant say what happen to your saw, but I have ran many a gallons of gas mixed with outboard oil and have never blown a saw up because of the oil. I have also used motor oil for mix in a pinch. Maybe you didnt get the mix right. I now run Husky saws and husky oil, but in the good old days, it was run what you brung and hope you brung enough

You obviously don't want to sink 750 bucks into the saw, and I wouldn't either. I'd say they're gouging you on the labor.
So you might as well try to determine what is actually wrong with it and if need be, rebuild it yourself.
There's a ton of good info on this site, youtube, and other sites etc., so if you're mechanically inclined, you should be able to do it.
First thing is gonna be, as others have said, get the muffler off so you can see if there is indeed any damage and to what extent.
If so, disassemble it slowly and methodically, take lots of pics as you go, and keep everything neat and organized so nothing gets lost.
I'm more a Husqvarna man so not 100% sure, but it seems like OEM Stihl parts are kinda difficult to find online, so you may have to get the parts from a dealer, or possibly go with good quality after market parts.
Regardless, either way is gonna be much more beneficial than having a saw that you invested 900 bucks in, as a paper weight.
Good luck.

I still have several quarts of this stuff from the late 1970's......only it doesn't say snowmobile on it. It just says Two-Cycle.

1579850.jpg

Now you did it. Tarnation, yer gonna have ice and snow for months. All yer own fault.

To the OP: I would grab a Hyway Big Bore kit in a second. Great sale on em. Do the work yourself and enjoy.

Rick

I see you're in Idaho. That's a great state. I was born in Orofino. :rock2:

Lived in Lewiston and Clarkston as well.

Latest posts

Back