Is the shop lying to me and next steps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Woodluvr I've downloaded all your posts into my troll detector and Its giving you a pass. Lots of ribbing going on here including some from me, hope you take it all with a grain of salt. Personally I Hope your rebuild is a success, keep us updated.

View attachment 689708
Well what they would tell me on the reservations was....."As long as we are bugging you then that means we like you....its when we stop bugging you is when you have to worry

I seriously doubt your choice of oil had anything to do with your saw's issue, especially if you only ran it 30 minutes.
However, as a side note: If you're not using a high quality synthetic 2 cycle oil such as Stihl, Husqvarna, etc., etc., I'd highly recommend mixing at 40:1
I personally never mix the "recommended" 50:1 even with the good oil, and all my saws have lived long and happy lives, knock on wood.

When ya get that muffler off, let us know what you find.
I'd like to kinda jump in. My very old Sthil Manuel stated to use 40:1 Midgrade (or better I think if I remember correctly) fuel. I don't recall ethanol being sold back then.
However, when folks started talking about 50:1, I couldn't bring myself to change. Bought a new saw in 2015 and 3 more since, all Echo. Still using 40:1. Use hi-octane pure gas. That's my comfort zone. Nuther thing. It took me lots ah years to get really good sharp chains. The shops just kept eating chains. A new chain wouldn't last long. In between I hand file. Finally my hand filing seemed just as good and chains began to last long enough to remove a link. Just recently I was cutting with another guy. He was commenting on how fast my 34cc saw cut compared to his 42cc. Finally I checked his chain. It was dull. He checked my chain and was amazed. He said he couldn't understand why his NEW chain was not as sharp as my old chain. Turns out he just bought the chain and put it on the saw without sharpening the chain. IMHO new chains need to be sharpened. I will admit I do use a DIY file guide. At this point in time I refuse to allow a grinder near my chains. Remember, I'm retired and don't need to rush like some guys. I just came inside. It's nearly 3am. Ive been working in the shop and enjoying my quiet time. I may be up early or sleep in. I may drop a few trees or put it off until next week. I have the leasure of hand filing. It's not quick and dirty but when you get good it's very rewarding both monetarily and satisfaction. Good day.

Could you please find time to fill out a quit survey as to your latest experience in our chainsaw forums.

1)very very helpful
2)Good
3) Disapionting
4) Some of them are just stupid
5) They are all stupid

Q)
Did you find this section helpful?
You forgot ENTERTAINING!!!!!!! :omg: You know,kinda like a movie. :popcorn2:

Just got my new Stihl P&C today and I'm stoked. Also just ordered the OEM gasket set today. I'm slowly amassing everything I need to begin reconstruction.

To "Wow": I like your post about oil and sharpening. I decided I'm going to run 40:1 with high quality oil from now on after learning about all this. I had been sharpening my own chain and getting better at it but I never thought to sharpen a new chain.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

Back