Is the shop lying to me and next steps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like they are making good money off of you. You do not have to use Stihl brand oil. Take some pictures of the piston and cylinder walls pulled apart. This forum is full of folks that like to do there own work. I've been running Havoline two stroke without any problems and put my 025 and 028 super through a good workout after the remnants of the last hurricane came through.
IMG_20181126_184811215.jpg

TC-W3 is outboard/water cooled rated oil. I'd use an air cooled JASO FD rated oil (or even FC, if still around).

Okay, Yes, thank you all for the great replies. No, I am not a troll. :) I have been polite. I said nothing off the wall. The first reply was just completely out of context and made it seem as though the person did not read what I wrote. You can't fault me for that. We all know how it can be. Further, to reference a reply, I was not mad because people were not jumping through the correct hoops. Nothing I said ever even made it seem that way. There were no hoops. The question was very specific and I provided all the information I had as clear and concise as possible for me.

I do not currently have the saw. It is still at the shop and I haven't even been able to see it yet. So far all I know is what the tech told me over the phone. So that is what we have at the moment. As soon as I can I will get the saw, take good pictures and go from there. All I can do for now is take the tech at his word.

The foremost question was is it never okay to run other brands of 2 cycle oil. We all kinda need to know that. Please, lets keep it courteous and professional and stay to the point without ill-placed accusations that serve no good.

So you all know, I used the recommended 50:1 ratio and I only ran it for about 30 minutes. However, the problem I was experiencing started immediately.

At this point, because I have a lack of information about the state of the internals of the saw itself the first question had to be: Is it only okay to run Stihl oil or not? Was the tech right?

Thank you again to all the people who didn't jump to conclusions.

Sorry if I started a bash, I was reacting to the "read the post" reply. Seemed off. If you have a problem with a post, quote that post and then fire away. Most everything in a forum needs taken with grains of salt. Measure out your angst in very, very small quantities.

BTW, I been using Lucas synthetic 2 stroke oil for quite a while.

So you all know, I used the recommended 50:1 ratio and I only ran it for about 30 minutes. However, the problem I was experiencing started immediately.

I seriously doubt your choice of oil had anything to do with your saw's issue, especially if you only ran it 30 minutes.
However, as a side note: If you're not using a high quality synthetic 2 cycle oil such as Stihl, Husqvarna, etc., etc., I'd highly recommend mixing at 40:1
I personally never mix the "recommended" 50:1 even with the good oil, and all my saws have lived long and happy lives, knock on wood.

When ya get that muffler off, let us know what you find.

Okay, Yes, thank you all for the great replies. No, I am not a troll. :) I have been polite. I said nothing off the wall. The first reply was just completely out of context and made it seem as though the person did not read what I wrote.

Out of context?! thats rich!(no pun intended)

so you were running fine on premix. and then you mix your own and wa-la, it dies? so do you think it's possible that you may have been too heavy handed on the oil and made is RICH? therefore the saw dies...wanna guess what a classic symptom of running too rich is?? yes the saw sounds like it will take off and just die or you can get it going by....holding the throttle.

so go retune (preferribly on your own, dealer seem quite pricey) the saw for your rich gas or try pre mix again and see if that alleviates the issue

and long term outboard oil may harm it eventually but not on the first tank.

Out of context?! thats rich!(no pun intended)

Yes, I said that because my question was quite clearly not what is wrong with my saw but was it wrong to use other oil.

But, this brings up another question. You say it may be possible I was running the oil too rich while others are recommending to go richer with a 40:1 ratio instead of the specified 50:1.

Yes, I said that because my question was quite clearly not what is wrong with my saw but was it wrong to use other oil.

But, this brings up another question. You say it may be possible I was running the oil too rich while others are recommending to go richer with a 40:1 ratio instead of the specified 50:1.

yep, your saw was used to premix. staying perfect every time and was probably somewhat tuned for that. especially if it came from a shop, no matter how ignorant they may seem. then your handmade fuel threw it for a loop.

carbs don't think compared to mtronics, they just know what they're used to. take a chain smoker. if he quits cold turkey he hates his life for the next few weeks. (not a great example but all i could come up with)

personally i run rich(40-45:1, BUT my saws are tuned for it and run optimally that way. its always safer to error on the side of rich. but too rich and the saw doesn't run at all.

now that is all my opinion and what i gather from no provided pictures or you looking personally at the piston. so take it as you will.

Back