Is the shop lying to me and next steps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take a lot of chances with some of my rebuilds.I usually dont change out bearing and seals. But!, these are usually freebe's I dont have any money in. I also aint trying to make a living from working on saws. I usually get these saws running and then endup giving them away to people in need. Doing a 026 now, I will have less than $20 bucks in, brother just had the saw I gave him a few months back stolen so he will probably end up with the 026. The stolen saw was a husky 51 I put a piston and rings in. He only needs a saw once in a while, not cutting every day. With that said, If I was going to invest a couple hundred $$ in a saw rebuild, I thing I wouldnt hesitate to redo the bottom end bearings and seals. Dont make sense not to. Your saw looks to have either not had enough oil in the mix or was straight gassed, or ran very lean. I doubt the AM top end it was built with was the problem. The saw already had issues and could have been running very lean or sucking air. No way n hell I would put a new top end on it without checking the seals. I would also replace the impulse line and the gas line, Not doing so is only asking for more grief. With thr Money spent for the topend and gasket set, you only a few dollars away from adding seals and bearing and still be a lot less than the $500 the dealer quoted for a rebuild, even if you have to buy a case splitting tool.

Buy the tool and then start hitting your dealers scrap pile and you might be supprised how many saws you could rescue. My dealer tells me when he gets something in that cost more for him to fix than the saw is worth. The reason his cost to rebuild is so high is because he has to use OEM parts, he cant put a china topend on a Sthil or Huskey saw because of being a Authorized dealer. Sometimes I can buy the old non runner for next to nothing and if it is old and NLA obsolete I get it gave to me. You can usually find NLA parts in the after market and there are several AM dealers to choose from.

He took a saw in for a new sprocket, and with an "inboard" clutch.

Also told the shop to go through the saw.

Biatches when they charged him for "going" through the saw...

In addition to his other "biatch" part of the thread.

Posting an initial thread over being "screwed", by a shop taking advantage of a "newby".

But with each post, makes us all think that he is no "newby"....

We just wish to not be gullible sapps....

Just like the hoops that we jump through to be "clean"...

Sorry, "Been there, done that".....

I take a lot of chances with some of my rebuilds.I usually dont change out bearing and seals. But!, these are usually freebe's I dont have any money in. I also aint trying to make a living from working on saws. I usually get these saws running and then endup giving them away to people in need. Doing a 026 now, I will have less than $20 bucks in, brother just had the saw I gave him a few months back stolen so he will probably end up with the 026. The stolen saw was a husky 51 I put a piston and rings in. He only needs a saw once in a while, not cutting every day. With that said, If I was going to invest a couple hundred $$ in a saw rebuild, I thing I wouldnt hesitate to redo the bottom end bearings and seals. Dont make sense not to. Your saw looks to have either not had enough oil in the mix or was straight gassed, or ran very lean. I doubt the AM top end it was built with was the problem. The saw already had issues and could have been running very lean or sucking air. No way n hell I would put a new top end on it without checking the seals. I would also replace the impulse line and the gas line, Not doing so is only asking for more grief. With thr Money spent for the topend and gasket set, you only a few dollars away from adding seals and bearing and still be a lot less than the $500 the dealer quoted for a rebuild, even if you have to buy a case splitting tool.

Buy the tool and then start hitting your dealers scrap pile and you might be supprised how many saws you could rescue. My dealer tells me when he gets something in that cost more for him to fix than the saw is worth. The reason his cost to rebuild is so high is because he has to use OEM parts, he cant put a china topend on a Sthil or Huskey saw because of being a Authorized dealer. Sometimes I can buy the old non runner for next to nothing and if it is old and NLA obsolete I get it gave to me. You can usually find NLA parts in the after market and there are several AM dealers to choose from.

Well I never straight gassed it. The 50:1 ratio I used probably just wasn't enough oil after I let it sit to dry out for so long and those cheap Chinese parts just couldn't take it. I'm definitely checking the seals, no doubt.

I see this like everything else. Either pay a ransom for the convenience or pay for the education.

If I'm going this far I might as well go all in and become comfortable with it all around.

I already got the trees cut off my house, shed and workshop. Still have some long chunks laying all over the place though.

I want to get this done asap before the end of winter because there are a couple oaks I want cut down that are growing a bit too close for my liking near where we put our new septic system. I'm also wanting them down to open up that area for some fruit trees I want to plant. I want to get 'em cut while the sap is low to help use 'em for lumber. They're pretty straight.

I like the idea of refurbishing saws for others. Wish I had more time. Maybe that is in my future.

I’ve always found I learn the most when I jump into something that’s way over my head and have to sink or swim. It’s not something I’d want to do everyday, but when you’re staring at that new electrical panel and meter box and the inspector is showing up on Thursday or when you’ve got the top end of your cars engine torn apart and your wife is telling you she needs it running again soon, that’s when you really learn things.

I don’t think that a newbie deciding to rebuild a chainsaw on his own, after folks here encouraged him to do just that, is all that bizarre. It’s not like he’s starting out by rebuilding an automatic transmission or a hybrid motor.

WoodLuvr's stihl dealer can!

The emperor's clothes are so beautiful. Please, no dealer bashing here.

I'm trying to, but what ever happened to the trees that you "had" to get off your house and required a bigger (91cc) saw in the first place?

Tired of proving myself. I used said saw for that tree. Took me about 30 minutes of keeping my finger on the throttle the whole time. That was probably my second mistake. Right after I added the wrong oil/wrong ratio I should have stopped there.

He did.....

I already explained my admittedly flawed reasoning for making that post and apologized. I said please and thank you anyway. Sheesh!

Latest posts

Back