IS THE STHIL THE BEST ALL ROUND SAW CO?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave mclennan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
STHIL CANADA HAS MADE A DECENT CHAINSAW AVAILABLE FOR ALL FIREWOOD CUTTERS FOR A OUTSTANDING PRICE Here in b c Canada they have offered the sthil 291 for 499$ cdn, or { 330$us} and the dealer in the town close by has offered it with a 20 or 18 inch bar instead of the 16in, and is throwing in a sthil hat im not to sure how good the saw is for firewood but at 55cc cant be to bad. most of the guys I know have the sthil 261. my neighbor is going to buy the 291 tomorrow ive noticed that all the recent tv shows showing people living in ALASKA AND THE YUKON ETC,RUN sthils, well 90% anyway. the dealer here I deal with has a special on TANAKAS, TO TRY AND get the word around about them and there 7 year warranty with sthils reputation, and the 291 for $499 cdn or $332 us hes in a tuff spot selling tanakas I think.

chevy of course
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIANCE WITH THE TANAKA 50 CC AND UP FIREWOOD TYPE SAW,i have a buddy who is possibly interested in one as he likes our dealer and the 7 year warranty, and he is not a sthil or dolmar (Makita) fan, hes tried the dealers demo saw and likes it, not much on the net he said

But Ford comes with a heated tail gate for that long push home.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk
ive wondered how tuff the alum. type body is? especially in the bed of the new ford, for a guy like me a strong box and bed is a must, even with a liner

STHIL CANADA HAS MADE A DECENT CHAINSAW AVAILABLE FOR ALL FIREWOOD CUTTERS FOR A OUTSTANDING PRICE Here in b c Canada they have offered the sthil 291 for 499$ cdn, or { 330$us} and the dealer in the town close by has offered it with a 20 or 18 inch bar instead of the 16in, and is throwing in a sthil hat im not to sure how good the saw is for firewood but at 55cc cant be to bad. most of the guys I know have the sthil 261. my neighbor is going to buy the 291 tomorrow ive noticed that all the recent tv shows showing people living in ALASKA AND THE YUKON ETC,RUN sthils, well 90% anyway. the dealer here I deal with has a special on TANAKAS, TO TRY AND get the word around about them and there 7 year warranty with sthils reputation, and the 291 for $499 cdn or $332 us hes in a tuff spot selling tanakas I think.

261 is a better saw in terms of design, power-to-weight, and handling. But for a guy cutting his own firewood who isn't an enthusiast, the 291 does hit a decent price point.

Historically, Tanaka knows how to build good two-stroke engines. Whether that translates into their current crop of saws is anyone's guess. I think they are China made now, and for that reason alone I would pass.

For the cost of that 291 you can get a lightly used Husqvarna 346xp, which is a better saw in every respect.

I would not want to hang a 20" bar off of any of the saws being discussed here, even in softwood. Too darned slow and you have to be too gentle with them. Got a nice MMWS 346xpg that wears a 13" bar and 8t rim. Great firewood saw. You can pick the log up in the air on an undercut and it keeps right on cutting. A 291/20" will practically bog under its own weight in a regular downward cut! No thanks!

Don’t know anything about Tanaka, but what I do know from experience is to buy a quality saw. I bought 3 lesser brands in my early years due to money shortage but looking back it would have cheaper and less frustrating to purchase one good saw and take care of it. Stihl and Husqvarna come to mind for quality saws but more experienced people should give other names. Also echo makes great saws for the money.

Home Depot.ca; Echo 590 for $434.00. Everywhere else $499.00 until Nov 30.
Any Echo dealer; CS501P at $549.00 and some other ones (Until Nov 30)
There are still old-stock new Dolmars floating around for good prices....like $399.00 for a 5105, for example.

All of the above are magnesium saws with good reps.

So NO, Stihl is not THE best saw company around. That saw should be 400 bucks regular price.

IMO

I'm a Stihl fan and I will say HECK NO Stihl is not the best all around. They are the best all around for ME though. Maybe for you too or maybe not. Just because a 291 is on sale does not mean much to me. I have never been a fan of the 291/311/391 type saws myself. Too heavy for what they are supposed to do. A 261 will cut right with a 391 with 15 less cc's and for a few bucks less in price with 3 less lbs. Anyone buying a 391 is getting a joke played on them.

Didn't you just buy a Dolmar?

Heck man, Echo might be the best all around. You can get anything you want online for them. Just don't need after purchase support because they will hose you. For the folks who work on their own stuff and don't depend on crap shoot service departments Echo may be just the ticket.

It is the Dealer that makes a brand a great brand. Any solid chainsaw with a great Dealer is like golden. Because Stihl has been supporting their Dealers to make the most of their Dealer ownership opportunity I'd have to go with Stihl as the best Dealer supported company out there. Not to bash the other brands as I own them all.

But the Dealer makes the experience, not necessarily the chainsaw. And I use F150 for Dolmar and an Amish Dealer for Husky and Echo. And another Amish Dealer for Stihl. All 5 stars as good people that take pride in what they do. And take very very good care of me :)

Is the exchange rate that different up there?
exchange rATE TODAY IS %33.14 AT MY BANK, SO IT WOULD COST ME $133. 14 CDN TO BUY 100 US I MIGHT HAVE F#@kED UP THECOST OF THE STHIL 291 IN MY POST BUT ITS CLOSE THE SALE FOR THE 291 STHIL W 20 IN BAR IS 499$ CDN 1/3 OF 500$ IS APPX 170$ SO CLOSE ANYWAY 330$ US OR CLOSE PLUS 12% TAX IN BC 5% IN ALBERTA OUR MONEY IS SO WORTHLESS MAKES IT HARD FOR US TO GO DOWN TO AMERICA, EVERY SUMMER I PACK UP HARLEY AND GO ANYWAY, GAS IS WAY CHEAPER DOWN THERE, AT LEAST,

I'm a Stihl fan and I will say HECK NO Stihl is not the best all around. They are the best all around for ME though. Maybe for you too or maybe not. Just because a 291 is on sale does not mean much to me. I have never been a fan of the 291/311/391 type saws myself. Too heavy for what they are supposed to do. A 261 will cut right with a 391 with 15 less cc's and for a few bucks less in price with 3 less lbs. Anyone buying a 391 is getting a joke played on them.

Didn't you just buy a Dolmar?

Heck man, Echo might be the best all around. You can get anything you want online for them. Just don't need after purchase support because they will hose you. For the folks who work on their own stuff and don't depend on crap shoot service departments Echo may be just the ticket.
YES IOWN A DOLMAR 5105 AND LOVE IT for firewood cutting, personally the only sthil I like is the 261, I just see sthils everywhere up here EVERYWHERE, the sthil dealer in my town takes very good care of folks, and he really promoting this 291 saw I don't know that saw, ive heard its heavy, with average power,

There are still old-stock new Dolmars floating around for good prices....like $399.00 for a 5105, for example.

So NO, Stihl is not THE best saw company around. That saw should be 400 bucks regular price.

IMO
tell ME WHERE I CAN GET A DOLMAR 5105 FOR 399$ CDN PLEASE SO ICAN BUY 1FOR THAT PRICE ALSO WHERE canI GET A ECHO 590 TIMBERWOLF FOR 434$ CDN ILL BUY 1 OF THEM TO FOR THAT PRICE IM SERIOUS, IVE NEVER HEARD OF THE TIMBERWOLF FOR 434$ CDN what a deal and a great saw

IMO
not REGULAR PRICE IN THE KOOTENAYS AND OUR HOME DEPOT SAID THE TIMBERWOLF TODAY IS 500.00$ W 16 IN BAR

Back