• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

is there a special tool for removing valvebody in hl-166b

1hander

1hander

ArboristSite Operative
rebuilding the tillotson hl-166b for the 08s.

none of my 8mm sockets will fit inside the pocket to unscrew the valvebody, i dont want to have to turn one of my sockets down in the lathe to get i to fit in there..

whats the actual size of the valvebody and is there a special tool for it.. seems like a standard size socket might just fit in there but i dont have any standard stuff so if i know the size i can just buy the one that i need

rupedoggy

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
wwwwhatdoyouwanthereanyway.com
i dont have any standard stuff
What does this mean? It may mean you don't have any SAE tools but that doesn't seem likely. Maybe you don't have a 1/4 drive set with sockets. Do you have a set of nut drivers? These are cheap and can be ground down on the bench grinder to fit down into a recess. BTW what is a valve body in a carburetor? I really don't know right now

1hander

1hander

ArboristSite Operative
oops im sorry sir, you are correct no SAE type tools, i only have metric stuff...
the valve body is what tillotson ipl calls the main metering needles guide..or socket, its where the main needle rides inside of .
i think ill just do as you suggested. ill just go to home depot and find either a 5/16 nut driver or 1/4 drive socket and turn it down to fit in the pocket

i have to wait for some parts anyway, i noticed on both the carb for the 08s and the ts-350 that the throttle shaft on both have an excessive amount of wear where they go into the carb body , the chrome plating has worn off and chewed up the brass shaft quite a bit and are probably leaking air into the venturi during operation so i ordered 2 to replace them with..

and had to re separate the crankcase halves cuz i realized after the fact that the bearing shims were missing from the crank journal bearings, thus the excessive crankwalk, which is no bueno
still waiting on those , plus need reorder crankcase gaskets since they tore when re separating

1hander

1hander

ArboristSite Operative
No sir , not me ...not much of a throttle blipper..
lol... although once in while if i can .....ill lift the saw over my head with one arm, ill go full throttle and do the Texas chainsaw massacre routine LMAO

i have a line on a few that are specifically from the 08s era, but the owner of them knows it and his prices show it.. i found two vintage roller tip bars 18 and 16 and i found several really laerge hard nose duromatics but are way more bar than i could ever use, so as soon as my but stops hurtin from buying NOS parts ill buck up and just pay the guy what he wants,
s
the plan is to have those bars since ill have 3 maybe 4 08 saws and buy and convert a large mount roller bar for workin with and save the vintage stuff for show and tell, and to have 1 maybe 20-24 inch bar incase in the future i need one.. i just have not decided if i want to convert my 08s to 3/8 or keep them .404

.404 chains seem to be getting hard to find.. so im leaning toward 3/8 conversion on all and keeping the .404 stuff and bars for nostalgic historically accurate reasons.

1hander

1hander

ArboristSite Operative
thank you kash , now i feel better that i got 3/8 sprocket .. i went with the stihl clutch drum and replaceable sprockets..and bought 4 extra sprockets