is there a special tool for removing valvebody in hl-166b

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
rebuilding the tillotson hl-166b for the 08s.

none of my 8mm sockets will fit inside the pocket to unscrew the valvebody, i dont want to have to turn one of my sockets down in the lathe to get i to fit in there..

whats the actual size of the valvebody and is there a special tool for it.. seems like a standard size socket might just fit in there but i dont have any standard stuff so if i know the size i can just buy the one that i need

i dont have any standard stuff
What does this mean? It may mean you don't have any SAE tools but that doesn't seem likely. Maybe you don't have a 1/4 drive set with sockets. Do you have a set of nut drivers? These are cheap and can be ground down on the bench grinder to fit down into a recess. BTW what is a valve body in a carburetor? I really don't know right now

oops im sorry sir, you are correct no SAE type tools, i only have metric stuff...
the valve body is what tillotson ipl calls the main metering needles guide..or socket, its where the main needle rides inside of .
i think ill just do as you suggested. ill just go to home depot and find either a 5/16 nut driver or 1/4 drive socket and turn it down to fit in the pocket

i have to wait for some parts anyway, i noticed on both the carb for the 08s and the ts-350 that the throttle shaft on both have an excessive amount of wear where they go into the carb body , the chrome plating has worn off and chewed up the brass shaft quite a bit and are probably leaking air into the venturi during operation so i ordered 2 to replace them with..

and had to re separate the crankcase halves cuz i realized after the fact that the bearing shims were missing from the crank journal bearings, thus the excessive crankwalk, which is no bueno
still waiting on those , plus need reorder crankcase gaskets since they tore when re separating

No sir , not me ...not much of a throttle blipper..
lol... although once in while if i can .....ill lift the saw over my head with one arm, ill go full throttle and do the Texas chainsaw massacre routine LMAO
giphy.gif

i have a line on a few that are specifically from the 08s era, but the owner of them knows it and his prices show it.. i found two vintage roller tip bars 18 and 16 and i found several really laerge hard nose duromatics but are way more bar than i could ever use, so as soon as my but stops hurtin from buying NOS parts ill buck up and just pay the guy what he wants,
s
the plan is to have those bars since ill have 3 maybe 4 08 saws and buy and convert a large mount roller bar for workin with and save the vintage stuff for show and tell, and to have 1 maybe 20-24 inch bar incase in the future i need one.. i just have not decided if i want to convert my 08s to 3/8 or keep them .404

.404 chains seem to be getting hard to find.. so im leaning toward 3/8 conversion on all and keeping the .404 stuff and bars for nostalgic historically accurate reasons.

thank you kash , now i feel better that i got 3/8 sprocket .. i went with the stihl clutch drum and replaceable sprockets..and bought 4 extra sprockets

Back