Is there a trick to burning black locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burroak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I scored a truckload of black locust 3 years ago for the first time, which I split and stacked underneath tin during those 3 years. Now, after all that time, I'm finally getting to burn it. Problem is, it won't burn! If I lay a couple pieces on a nice bed of red hot coals, for the first couple minutes it will catch a flame, but then after a few minutes the flame dies and it turns into a black lump with only red coal on the fringes. The stove stays about 200 degrees cooler than if I was burning ash. Everybody raves about black locust, but it's not working out for me. As I mentioned, moisture isn't the issue, this stuff is as dry as you can get it.

SO, for those who get to burn black locust regularly, is there a trick to it? Do I need to double the volume of wood to get it to burn?

Not sure why it won't burn. One of my favorites and I've burnt it for almost 40 years . You mentioned stored under tin but is it possible that the ends got wet? Pics of the wood if you have them. Thanks . Just threw this locust in the stove 4 minutes ago. About 1 1/2 years dried.
20190115_133430.jpg

I like using it for overnight burns, I often mix it in as well because it burns so hot there's no need for me to use it on its own, and boy does it does burn slow. I've heard that it can even burn when wet, but over never tried it ,nor would I in a stove. Is it getting enough air?

SO, for those who get to burn black locust regularly, is there a trick to it? Do I need to double the volume of wood to get it to burn?[/QUOTE]

Don't double the amount. Like the others have said you need to mix it with your ash. Its a very hard wood when seasoned. When the weather gets down to zero and below like they say its going to this weekend you find you love the locust for a lasting fire. My Garn is on a steady diet of locust and hedge but I only burn it full tilt as I am building my water temp in my storage when I am burning. You will enjoy the locust after the learning curve.

I have burned plenty of locust, although I think it is honey locust not black.
It does take some time to get burning good, so I usually start my fire with ash, birch or maple before I throw some locust in.
Once the locust get going good, it burns slow and hot.
It is our favorite at deer camp, the camp is not insulated, but the locust burns hot and lasts through the night. My friend that sleeps on the couch by the woodstove usually has to crack a window it gets so warm!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Just looked up the difference between black locusts and black, it looks like it is black locust that I have been burning after all.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

black locust can be very dense , sometimes it can be less . i have been burning it for years at night. did you check how dry the wood is?

Ive not burnt loads, maybe half a cord, but I also found it was one of those woods that wants to sulk. Very like English Oak. When it does decide to play it can go nuts, other times it's a long slow smoulder. Smaller splits, more of them, a proper hot stove, plenty of air, a bit of company from other wood all help.
I found myself questioning the mc. Most of what I burnt was dead standing, barkless and very dry looking so I assumed dry... I perhaps should have put fresh batteries in the moisture meter though and tested it, it did seem to behave as if it wasn't quite as dry as it looked.i Didn't creosote the flue though.

I scored a truckload of black locust 3 years ago for the first time, which I split and stacked underneath tin during those 3 years. Now, after all that time, I'm finally getting to burn it. Problem is, it won't burn! If I lay a couple pieces on a nice bed of red hot coals, for the first couple minutes it will catch a flame, but then after a few minutes the flame dies and it turns into a black lump with only red coal on the fringes. The stove stays about 200 degrees cooler than if I was burning ash. Everybody raves about black locust, but it's not working out for me. As I mentioned, moisture isn't the issue, this stuff is as dry as you can get it.

SO, for those who get to burn black locust regularly, is there a trick to it? Do I need to double the volume of wood to get it to burn?
Did you ever get it figured out.
I like the black locust, it's one of my favorites.
I can start a fire with it if I have smaller pieces of it, but to get a larger piece going a good bed of coals helps a lot. Don't close the damper to quickly, but also don't leave it open to long, it burns pretty hot and a full stove of it will get things warmed up in a hurry if you wait to long to shut the draft.
Hope your enjoying it now.

Back