Is this 55 Rancher cylinder any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Fixr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First time posting a pic, hope it works

Do the scoring lines on this cylinder render it useless? The ones I’m asking about are at the right side of the exhaust part going all the way to the top of the cylinder. The second is the one to the right of the port, and it’s almost the full length of the cylinder. Lastly, is the small pitting, middle of exhaust port, bottom side.
If useless, does anyone have a recommendation for a somewhat decent aftermarket brand, or should I put up a want ad in the classifieds for a good oem? Full disclosure...I’m rebuilding it for someone, it’s not mine, and I’m getting paid. It’s a backup for him.., but he won’t spend $ for a new oem. Thanks
9569757D-2464-4C11-99EE-B888B0344D52.jpeg

Thanks Cuinrearview. Ill keep on it, I guess. I did this using the mandrel/emery cloth method. Got to this point pretty quick, then seemed to stall there. If I can’t get any better, for fear of opening up the cylinder too far, would those score lines keep it from running? Or just a loss of some compression?
What would be the result of running it like this?
I was under the impression also (maybe wrong) that score lines below the exhaust port wouldn’t have an effect on running the saw....

Back