Is this a 460 or 440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weava

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all I've got a question. I have found a supposed ms460 on craigslist but the air filter cover is throwing me off. It looks like the cover for a 440. The guy says he put a big bore kit in it and knows it is a 460. What do you guys think? Is there any way to tell the model when i go check it out? Here are the pictures from the ad. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 142
What he said. The 440 and 044 have that characteristic air filter cover. It is also a narrow 440 body. The 460 has a fatter body. He may have jammed a 460 BB P&C in there, but they are taller and that would require some plastic tailoring. Far more likely its a 440 BB. Put a DP muffler cover on it and you will get about the same as the 460 in power.

The recoil side case half looks 440 to me. A 460 will have metal carry on towards the muffler then turn 90 to the oil cap. The 44 440 will slope low from the cap up to where it meets the recoil near the brake pivot bolt. :dizzy: if nthat makes sum sense to ya

Ask the seller what kind of a BB kit he put in. Ask him how much the saw has run with the new kit. If he can't name the BB kit, who he got it from or what it's called, walk away. If the saw doesn't have some run time on the new BB be extra careful.

Cheap clutch cover, probably cheap p/c too. And he couldn't even clean the saw up to SELL it, leads me to believe he never cleaned it during ownership. It has probably gotten its a$$ beat and I would be wary spending any big dollars on this. I would personally buy it solely for a parts donor saw.

Well, we know its a beater with at least an aftermarket P&C and side cover, and the trigger stop lever on the top of the back handle is broken. So pay accordingly.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm hard up for bigger saw and was about to pull the trigger on this one but thought I should ask for the sound advice of you folks on the forums. He is asking 450. Too much for me to gamble on. The faded color of the filter cover made me wonder if he was able to rig something up. He was straight forward about blowing the top end and that's why he put the big bore kit in there. Anywho, I'll continue my search. Thanks again. I'll let you guys know of any good deals I find. You guys rock!

Well its just me but if it was close by I would check it out. Maybe he was shooting for the stars on the price.......I would look it over and make him an offer accordingly. So its got a cheap top end on it.... Buy the saw cheap and throw some seals at it and a OEM top end.

Smittybilt saws

Latest posts

Back