Is this a cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would anyone buy wood anyway?
I burn for heat. I get all my wood free. Even at that, I wonder sometimes what I'm saving, especially now that oil is cheap.
There's all the equipment. There's my time. My back! LOL.
Bottom line, I've been doing it my whole life, I ENJOY it and I save a few bucks.

I tell all my city-slicker buddies, "If you have to purchase wood, go with a pellet stove".
TomJV

Why would anyone buy wood anyway?
I burn for heat. I get all my wood free. Even at that, I wonder sometimes what I'm saving, especially now that oil is cheap.
There's all the equipment. There's my time. My back! LOL.
Bottom line, I've been doing it my whole life, I ENJOY it and I save a few bucks.

I tell all my city-slicker buddies, "If you have to purchase wood, go with a pellet stove".
TomJV

I would still be way ahead of oil even if I had to buy my wood at decent prices.

5 cords at $200/cd, vs. 1000-1500 gallons of oil - wood still wins as near as I can tell.

I would still be way ahead of oil even if I had to buy my wood at decent prices.

5 cords at $200/cd, vs. 1000-1500 gallons of oil - wood still wins as near as I can tell.
Five cords of average firewood will deliver 100 million BTUs. Fuel oil delivers 140,000 BTU/gal. So, it would take 714 gallons of fuel oil to generate 100 million BTUs. At $2.60 a gallon (approx. New England price), that's $1,856. So, buying and burning the firewood at the same efficiency saves you $856.

Putting it another way, you would have to find oil for $1.40 a gallon to break even with the firewood if you can get it for $200 a full cord.

If I had natural gas at my house I'd convert all my electric appliances to gas but I'd still burn wood. The way the house heats up nice and slowly and feels warm is great. The floors are warm the air is warm. There's no spike in temperatures or cold rooms just a nice warm house. With a modulating natural gas furnace you might be able to get the same feeling but it will always be running and consuming fuel.

If I had natural gas at my house I'd convert all my electric appliances to gas but I'd still burn wood. The way the house heats up nice and slowly and feels warm is great. The floors are warm the air is warm. There's no spike in temperatures or cold rooms just a nice warm house. With a modulating natural gas furnace you might be able to get the same feeling but it will always be running and consuming fuel.
I burn natural gas in my house -- furnace, water heater, clothes dryer, and outdoor grill. I do have an electric oven with a clock that just quit and needs replacing. Might as well get a new oven. Furnace is finally wearing out. I imagine I'll replace it next year. Water heater lasted 30 years. I replaced it. Clothes dryer lasted 22 years. I replaced it. Outdoor gas grill lasted 14 years. I replaced it and the "new" one is about history.

Things never last forever -- but, my wood stove, a Federal Airtight 288, is still going after 30 years. It's hard to kill. My gas furnace seems to love working with it to get the job done.

There are certainly a lot of people who get shorted on wood orders. However, there are also many other people who expect every order to be over and above. I am certainly not implying that here, just stating in general people can suck all around. Either they expect you to give 1.25 cords per 1 cord order, or they expect 2 year seasoned wood, or want you to stack the wood 150 feet away. Or say the wood is too long, too short, too big, too little, too much bark, not all oak, etc, etc.

For example, I only sold wood for a season with my brother and that was enough for me. Both had full time jobs, figured we'd make a little extra money. My ex FIL found out I was delivering wood and ordered a cord. Trying to be nice I wanted to make sure it was as advertised so I showed up with a one ton dually dump truck with a 7x9 bed. The wood was STACKED tightly over 2' high. Averaged about 28" high. By my calculations well over a cord. Needless to say he refused to pay saying it wasn't a full cord. His wife came out and finally paid. I said please don't call again. Another time my brother delivered to a state trooper who said he wouldn't pay unless it was stacked 200 feet away. Bye, bye. Needless to say I said **** this and never bothered again. Too much work for all the drama and headaches.

Just saying, it goes both ways. Not an easy business.
We have a GREAT remedy for that kind of customer foolishness here.
It's called 40 below. When the ambient hit -40°F. Firewood sellers phones never quit ringing. Anyone that isn't right quick paying . Don't get no wood.

Not a cord looks more like 1/3 cord to me this is a cord of 24" wood WIN_20160619_10_38_09_Pro.jpg WIN_20160619_10_38_09_Pro.jpg

This is a about 3 .5 cords of 16"wood it is 13 feet diameter and 6 feet high and mounded after this picture the top was filled in to a mound about 9 feet tall!
WIN_20160619_10_37_25_Pro.jpg

I burn natural gas in my house -- furnace, water heater, clothes dryer, and outdoor grill. I do have an electric oven with a clock that just quit and needs replacing. Might as well get a new oven. Furnace is finally wearing out. I imagine I'll replace it next year. Water heater lasted 30 years. I replaced it. Clothes dryer lasted 22 years. I replaced it. Outdoor gas grill lasted 14 years. I replaced it and the "new" one is about history.

Things never last forever -- but, my wood stove, a Federal Airtight 288, is still going after 30 years. It's hard to kill. My gas furnace seems to love working with it to get the job done.

My stove isn't a big concern but my water heater and dryer would cost much less on natural gas. I don't know if i would save much money running a wood furnace vs a hi efficient natural gas furnace but with all these chainsaws and dieing ash trees what choice do I have? I pay the propane company 25 dollars a month and never on time because I have a large credit. Burning free wood saves me money.

We have a GREAT remedy for that kind of customer foolishness here.
It's called 40 below. When the ambient hit -40°F. Firewood sellers phones never quit ringing. Anyone that isn't right quick paying . Don't get no wood.

Our phones never stop ringing either. Frozen pipes and no heat calls. Just finished repairing leaks on 2 frozen houses this week. It wasn't 40 below though just below 10.

Five cords of average firewood will deliver 100 million BTUs. Fuel oil delivers 140,000 BTU/gal. So, it would take 714 gallons of fuel oil to generate 100 million BTUs. At $2.60 a gallon (approx. New England price), that's $1,856. So, buying and burning the firewood at the same efficiency saves you $856.

Putting it another way, you would have to find oil for $1.40 a gallon to break even with the firewood if you can get it for $200 a full cord.

I wasn't exactly comparing apples to oranges - more like, our old oil boiler of questionable efficiency vs. new wood boiler of very very good efficiency. But ya, same result. Purchased wood beats purchased oil, $ - wise.

The term cord or face cord is a legal definition as many have stated. The problem enters when tightly stacked wood is loose thrown into a truck or trailer. The factor changes from 128 cubic feet to 170-180 cubic feet when loose thrown.

Firewood
Firewood, like pulpwood, is usually sold by the cord or by weight. A standard rough cord of firewood consisting of round 4-foot sticks fitting into a 4' x 4' x 8' space will "shrink" if cut to a shorter length, split and then re-piled. Maine law provides for scaling of firewood-length wood, either round or split, on a "thrown in" basis. A thrown cord of 12" or 16" wood will occupy 180 cubic feet; 24" wood will require 195 cubic feet to contain a cord.
http://www.forestenterprise.org/res...nd Conversion Factors for Forest Products.pdf

This is a face cord loose thrown in the bed of an 8' F250

2upftyb.jpg

Here is a face cord loose thrown in a 6' x 10' trailer.

34teib4.jpg

I had a pic of exactly two full cord, but can't find it right now. This pic is aprox. 1.7 full cord, it took 2 trips for 3 full cord, the 2nd was quite a bit less than this. The truck bed is full and the trailer is 83" x 18'.

16k9pvs.jpg

Latest posts

Back