Is this a Homelite xl- 922 super??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman204

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, my brother found me a 266 on friday and then on sunday while buying a vintage dirtbike off his buddy he mentioned to him I like saws.

His buddy said "I got a big saw in the corner I'd like you to see."

He pulled out this:
gzI00NH.jpg
sZ7gykU.jpg
1QEr8Pg.jpg
yTLfvPm.jpg

He started off asking me if I could fix it and once he saw how much I like chainsaws he ended up selling it to me.

He through in a brand new 20" windsor speed tip bar and a new chain.

The tag is missing, I think its a XL-922 super based on pictures and whats left of the graphic on the starter cover.

Needs fuel lines at a minimum. Its got great spark and compression . I'm going to make this one run for sure.

Homelite experts what do I got here?

I believe you are right in your assessment, the manual oiler on the right side is the giveaway. I'm betting that chain brake cover is pretty rare.
77cc of grunt right there. I have it's big brother, the super XL 925.

I believe you are right in your assessment, the manual oiler on the right side is the giveaway. I'm betting that chain brake cover is pretty rare.
77cc of grunt right there. I have it's big brother, the super XL 925.

I've never seen one with a brake. Too bad the band is missing!!

Looks the same as my Super XL-922 except for the brake. The clutch side cover could be off a different saw. Great saw, lots of low end power, heavy as hell and needs a compression release valve or I need a better arm.

This one takes a good pull to get her going for sure.

The brake may be an addition, this saw does look exactly like one on Leon's Chainsaw Repair on youtube. His has a brake also so maybe its original.

Nice find, or it found you. I`m anxious to see the progression on this!

Nice find, or it found you. I`m anxious to see the progression on this!

Should start on it very soon.

I'm finnishing a complete workshop reno right now. I've been working for 8 years out of a dark, dingy "workshop" that was previously a chicken barn,

The roof finally started leaking so I knocked down the back half, built new trusses and added 5 feet to it. Resheeted the roof and installed shingkes 2 weeks ago..

Finnished my shelves and 20 foot work bench today, time to start sorting and putting away saw parts.

I'll start on the homelite first as it should be a simple repair, then I have a 266 and 3 more 200ts to build.

Fun fun

Sounds like fun fun. Actually jealous too lol.
WTG, it'll be nice to lay things out again, more space, find things too!

So I got the 922 running!

It needed fuel lines and a filter.

Now I need to make it run well. The saw runs way too rich, I think the govenor maybe is adding fuel all the time..

The saw starts and idles just fine but it runs way too rich on the top end. It will run with the H jet turned shut, I have the H needle set at 1/2 a turn right now and its still a bit rich, at 3/4 its rich and almost cleans up in the cut.

At say 1 turn open the saw spits fuel out of the muffler and just blubbers in the cut.

Any thoughts?

You could very well have a variant of the HS carb that had the semi-fixed H jet. I have a couple with this setup. They were intended to keep the saws from being set up too lean and burning up. They likely saved many from being toasted. I personally block the governors off and set the H around 1/4 out. They still run rich but clean up and pull well in the cut.

The service bulletin that came with this line of Tillotson carbs even went so far as to mention the H needle could be set closed and run as intended for the application. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that if the governor is blocked off as well. One would eliminate the automatic dumping of fuel once the RPM (resonance) reached the threshold.

Here is one of mine with that carb a couple months ago. The H is set at about 1/4 to 3/8 with the governor blocked. Pulls well at that and no need for me to go any leaner.

You could very well have a variant of the HS carb that had the semi-fixed H jet. I have a couple with this setup. They were intended to keep the saws from being set up too lean and burning up. They likely saved many from being toasted. I personally block the governors off and set the H around 1/4 out. They still run rich but clean up and pull well in the cut.

The service bulletin that came with this line of Tillotson carbs even went so far as to mention the H needle could be set closed and run as intended for the application. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that if the governor is blocked off as well. One would eliminate the automatic dumping of fuel once the RPM (resonance) reached the threshold.

Here is one of mine with that carb a couple months ago. The H is set at about 1/4 to 3/8 with the governor blocked. Pulls well at that and no need for me to go any leaner.

Thanks for the insite, I'm not very well rounded when it comes to homelites so I appreciate the help.

Funny story but I bought my 922 because I sub to your YouTube channel and watched that video.

I will block the governor off tomorrow and put her back in the wood. The saw actually runs really strong with the H jet closed but that freaks me out!!

Thanks for the insite, I'm not very well rounded when it comes to homelites so I appreciate the help.

Funny story but I bought my 922 because I sub to your YouTube channel and watched that video.

I will block the governor off tomorrow and put her back in the wood. The saw actually runs really strong with the H jet closed but that freaks me out!!

Here is the bulletin for the HS-151. I've got HS-16x's and they are the same setup with the semi-fixed H. Yep, it was more than a bit unnerving the first time when running them with the H just about seated. Good design, though.

Attachments

• Tillotson HS-151A Settings.pdf
    188.2 KB · Views: 9
Nice saw. I’ve got a 925 and I love it. What I’d suggest doing is keeping an eye out for non running parts saws. The various 900 series Homelites share a lot of parts and if you can get a parts saw for $20 that will go a long way towards keeping it running.

Cory my 922 was running great and out of know where it bogged out and started to backfire. Was just wondering if you had any ideas.

Sounds great. Those old Homelites were among some of the best sounding stock saws ever IMO

Back