Is this crank toast? 070 clone.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turd Furgeson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So there was an 070 clone on facebook marketplace. It was up for quite a while and kept getting cheaper and cheaper. It said it needed a new clutch, the guy said he only used it for three jobs which I believe based on the condition of the bar and paint. I asked him if the slipping clutch or him trying to fix it buggered up the crank at all. He said no. When we met at his residence he seemed like a nice guy and I was in a hurry as I had a work trip that I needed to get back home and pack for. The saw fired up and yes the clutch acted funny, but a quick peak up its skirt showed everything together and what looked to be clean crank threads sticking out. I dragged it home with me three nights ago for what I thought was a pretty good price.

Fast forward to last night and I pull the crankshaft nut off and find metal shavings and abrasive dust and think oh no. I grab my puller and clutch pops off the crank with only using my fingers on the puller screw. I find that he must have cut the old clutch off using a dremel and abrasive wheel and has taken off 25% of the crank fit turn length and reduced the diameter in spots to less than the crank thread diameter. I really wasn't looking for this big of a project or the added expense.

Since he lied to my face and knew what he was giving me I doubt I have any recourse contacting him. I was thinking about reporting him to his local police department, but I'm pretty sure he's an illegal immigrant running and unlicensed tree service and I'm not sure how I'd feel about potentially getting a guy deported because he ripped me off on a $25 part and a evening or two of work. I will be reporting it to facebook marketplace to try to get him banned from selling on there.

I'm half tempted to restore the OD on the end using JB weld to give the adapter sleeve a bit more length to grab onto and seeing if it lasts. Worst case scenario is the end of the crank busts off by the leading edge of the threads and then I pull it all apart and put a new crank in. I think it's so close to the centerline of the crank and such a minimal amount of weight I'm not worried about it messing up the balance of the assembly.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
Could try welding the low spots with the right hardened wire/rod. I've seen videos of guys repairing old hard nose bars like that. Or you could just weld the darn clutch on I guess too. ***** when you need to take it back off but hey it might work, guess I'd have to see the parts with my eyes to know and judge much really. Worst case you'd have to put the new crank on anyway. If you've got the time it's probably worth it to put a new crank on but it also might not be too hard to fill & grind back down good enough to work with the original there.

I personally would JB weld it as you suggested. Use the original stuff not the JB quick. Let it harden at least 24 hours and sand it dow with Emery cloth then assemble using this stuff. It will be a ***** to get it back apart but I don't think you have much to lose but time at this point.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...-Cz9fTnX7yD6LjCOfVzOgylid8yuknC0aAue5EALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think for the time it would take to 'patch up' your crank, you'd be better off replacing it with another aftermarket unit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-090-070-Crankshaft-Bearings-oil-seals-Replaces-1106-030-0400/123098795647?epid=851937466&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item1ca9428

I agree completely. I seriously doubt that building up that crank would be sufficient to allow the Spieth adapter sleeve to deform and hold the clutch tightly. For those that don`t work on the 070 or 090 the clutch is held on with an expanding adapter, its not like the common taper shaft on most saws. From what I can see in the pic posted that clutch assembly had come loose and the saw ran until the clutch was left spinning on the crank loosely, it tore up a good deal of metal. As a last resort put the clutch on as tight as can get it and weld the clutch spider to the crank, likely both parts are fubared any way, it might run for a good while like that.

Hey guys,

So there was an 070 clone on facebook marketplace. It was up for quite a while and kept getting cheaper and cheaper. It said it needed a new clutch, the guy said he only used it for three jobs which I believe based on the condition of the bar and paint. I asked him if the slipping clutch or him trying to fix it buggered up the crank at all. He said no. When we met at his residence he seemed like a nice guy and I was in a hurry as I had a work trip that I needed to get back home and pack for. The saw fired up and yes the clutch acted funny, but a quick peak up its skirt showed everything together and what looked to be clean crank threads sticking out. I dragged it home with me three nights ago for what I thought was a pretty good price.

Fast forward to last night and I pull the crankshaft nut off and find metal shavings and abrasive dust and think oh no. I grab my puller and clutch pops off the crank with only using my fingers on the puller screw. I find that he must have cut the old clutch off using a dremel and abrasive wheel and has taken off 25% of the crank fit turn length and reduced the diameter in spots to less than the crank thread diameter. I really wasn't looking for this big of a project or the added expense.

Since he lied to my face and knew what he was giving me I doubt I have any recourse contacting him. I was thinking about reporting him to his local police department, but I'm pretty sure he's an illegal immigrant running and unlicensed tree service and I'm not sure how I'd feel about potentially getting a guy deported because he ripped me off on a $25 part and a evening or two of work. I will be reporting it to facebook marketplace to try to get him banned from selling on there.

I'm half tempted to restore the OD on the end using JB weld to give the adapter sleeve a bit more length to grab onto and seeing if it lasts. Worst case scenario is the end of the crank busts off by the leading edge of the threads and then I pull it all apart and put a new crank in. I think it's so close to the centerline of the crank and such a minimal amount of weight I'm not worried about it messing up the balance of the assembly.

Thoughts?
They wont deport him or do anything. I would do something about it.

They wont deport him or do anything. I would do something about it.

Exactly. If he is indeed illegal he already gets to play by a different set of rules than the rest of us "citizens". They don't seem to deport them for committing murder and other terrible crimes so they sure as hell ain't going to deport him over a chainsaw.

Exactly. If he is indeed illegal he already gets to play by a different set of rules than the rest of us "citizens". They don't seem to deport them for committing murder and other terrible crimes so they sure as hell ain't going to deport him over a chainsaw.
Go back and demand satisfaction.

I wish I could say what I think but I don't wanna pi$$ off any sensitive members. But many of us know what should be done. That aint right .
Brake clean the crank real good before putting epoxy on there, welding it sounds good too. Either way you aint gettin it back apart on a bench, unless u really try

I bought an 070 clone brand new and put it on my mill. The clutch spider came loose just like yours, however i caught it immediately. It did scrape up the crank surface, but i polished it up and put some red loctite on the tapered piece and put it back together. I believe it torqued to 30ftlbs. I think they dont get them tight enough during assembly. Mines not slipped since, but it will be difficult to remove if/when i need to.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, for some reason I wasn't getting notifications. Welding on a crank is a no-no. I'll probably just replace the crankshaft. My buddy at work said with my luck it would last just until I really NEEDED to use the saw and fail then. He's right. I'll report the seller to facebook and the local police department as I'm sure his marketplace ethics trickle down to his tree service ethics as well. He knew what he was selling me. He said he had it all apart and put it back together and there was no damage. His story didn't make sense, I should have known better than to trust him. Lesson learned. Trust, but verify.

-TF

Yup if we don’t fix it right it will bite us when we most need it, Murphy’s law.
I’d change the crank,

Your not alone I been close to being burnt with husky vintage dirtbikes. I get told oh it did run. But when I turn it over by hand I hear that famous seezed squeak. Dry scored piston. Having 27 bikes plus a van load of parts I never lose. I’m starting to pile up non running saws for parts.

Back