Is this evergreen tree on it's last legs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atikovi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
large.jpg

Needles are pretty much gone on the bottom 2/3rds of it. I cut the ivy that was growing on it but didn't want to pull it off so as not to damage the bark. Can it be saved?

So...let's say the tree is kept alive. It won't ever have green needles on the bottom. So it would be alive, but would it be functional???

I can't speak for that tree...but Blue spruce here:
Spruce Spider Mites
Rhizosphaera needlecast
Pitch mass borers
Cytospora cankers

The last 3 are not easy to control.

First you need the diagnosis. Probably will take an on-site visit. If you can post some up close pictures of the trunk twigs and needles maybe able to help from here.

Neither water nor fertilizer prevent further fungal infections or kill insects.

Drop it and replace with a healthy tree, or just let smaller trees around it fill in. Feel your pain, red oaks on my property are dying from oak wilt, have at least 9 to remove this year. Nice looking trees one day and two-three weeks later leaves are brown and tree goes bare.

Drop it and replace with a healthy tree, or just let smaller trees around it fill in. Feel your pain, red oaks on my property are dying from oak wilt, have at least 9 to remove this year. Nice looking trees one day and two-three weeks later leaves are brown and tree goes bare.
Agree 100% too far gone at this stage !

It’s sad but all trees seem to morph into what we call fire wood. I have a row of tall poplars that 4 need to come down too.

Retired guy from SE Manitoba
yep , I have various species of poplars that seem to mature quickly . Have a few 24 " that have ice damage limbs that I will be taking down this fall .

Latest posts

Back