Is this piston toast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also was wondering if this bad? Looks like some damage to the bottom of case. Trying to fix my first saw.20201129_141031.jpg20201129_141043.jpg

I see a cylinder but no piston. The cylinder could be cleaned up and reused with a bit of work, that dent at the upper transfer would need to be removed, make the surrounding area lower than the rest of the cylinder wall so a ring can`t catch. The crankcase would clean up fine, just make sure the bearing pockets are still tight, the bearning need to be held tightly even when the case swells from heat of the saw running.

Besides the bad divot on the upper transfer, is the vertical score/mark emanating from the other small divot damage to the plating or just transfer aluminum?

Finger sand it with some fine wet/dry sandpaper and dilute dish detergent and see if it cleans up, or if it's a gouge.

That is a gouge. Looks like it's toasted with upper crank bearing with spread. I still need a crank,piston and cylinder

The wear in the crankcase looks like the crank bearing was starting to let loose. Pieces of that are probably what damaged the transfer port edge and scored the cylinder above it. Also looks like it danced around your squish band for a while. It could probably be cleaned up and used but it won't make a ton of compression like that. That looks like a 365/72 x-torq. If so, there are tons of good used cylinders out there. I have a couple myself. I think I have a good used piston too. PM me if you're interested.

Latest posts

Back