Is this Super 250 too far gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a Super 250 that has spent the last 25 years or so in neglect. It is my fathers saw and when the carburetor needed to be rebuilt he put it in my grandfathers shop and left it. About 10 or 15 years ago the roof caved in on the shop so it has pretty much been sitting outside. I would like to restore it for my father, but I'm afraid its too late. I know for sure it needs a carburetor, muffler, ignition coil, fuel lines, and probably flywheel and points. I am new to rebuilding saw and have no experience with older saws, so even if this was possible it might be over my head. But if its possible I would like to rebuild it for my fathers birthday in September. Here are some pics I took. What do you think?View attachment 133015

View attachment 133016

View attachment 133017

View attachment 133018View attachment 133015

If it turns over and piston and cylinder
look good, I would say give it a try.
Parts should be easy to find. Mcculloch
made lots of the 250's and super 250's.
I always like a challenge.

Lee

I though it was frozen but it was the starter, it does turn over but rough. I haven't got to see the piston yet but it feels rusty or dirty.

Pull it apart and have a look. You'll enjoy yourself if nothing else.

Get an IPL from someone on here so you'll have an idea of what to look for.

Good luck.:):)

Pull it down, rebore the cylinder, get an oversized piston and rings, some new bearings, a carb kit, blast it and paint it, and then assemble it. In the end you will have an awesome saw.

If you need any parts for that saw let me know. I have an extra coil and flywheel for one (250 not super)... actually have all if it except the starter cover and recoil. Clean it up, tear it down, sand and repaint.

I think you should take that one completely apart and check it all carefully for corrosion. From the looks of the outside, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some corrosion in the fuel and oil tanks, and could be inside the crank case as well.

Most parts will be readily available, should be a fun project and a nice saw when you are finished.

Which carburetor on that one? Tillotson? McCulloch/Walbro "flat back"? Choke or primer?

Mark

Gonna start tearing it down this weekend hopefully. I don't know what carburetor it has but it has a choke lever. I will definitely need a carburetor or rebuild kit, ignition coil, and muffler. I haven't got any farther than that. I Suspect the flywheel will be bad, the magnet still works but the points probably have rusted away. I am hoping corrosion wont be to bad but wont know for sure until I can really start taking it apart. Anybody know a good place to read about point ignition systems. I don't know how to adjust them and I figure if I start reading now I might know what I am doing by the time I get that far in the saw. This will be the biggest project yet so lets see how it goes.

As I dig further Ill post more pics. I did pull the spark plug and found water and orange crud of some sort. If I can get this thing running it will definitely be something to be proud of, for me at least.

attachment.php

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133016&d=1271249749

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133017&d=1271249754

attachment.php

attachment.php

More pictures, not looking good. Carburetor looks like a Mcculloch, not sure if its worth rebuilding though. Lots of corrosion. Not sure where to start.
attachment.php

Gas tank is corroded real bad.
attachment.php

Oil tank is no better.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Does anyone have any recommendations for the flywheel, it is frozen on? And is the clutch pressed on or threaded on?
Thanks Brian

Latest posts

Back