Is this Super 250 too far gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian-on that fuel line, push it over the tapered end of a nail set or some such thing to expand it, heat with a lighter to soften it , let cool and it should take a set at a larger dia. and make it easier to get started. this has worked for me before. keep strokin'.

Brian-on that fuel line, push it over the tapered end of a nail set or some such thing to expand it, heat with a lighter to soften it , let cool and it should take a set at a larger dia. and make it easier to get started. this has worked for me before. keep strokin'.

:agree2:

Ran it for a little bit this morning and sounds better. Not sure how to tune it though. I am a little gun shy on holding throttle wot. But it seems like it is rich. I need some guidance on how to properly tune it. I have a nice tach to guide me, just need to know what I am looking for as far as top end. Getting closer!

attachment.php

I think so. When blipping the throttle it doesnt sound like a modern chainsaw. The sound has a much lower pitch and the chain moves a lot slower. I thinks its pretty rich but my tack made 5000+. So I need to learn how to set the high end now and see what happens.

I think so. When blipping the throttle it doesnt sound like a modern chainsaw. The sound has a much lower pitch and the chain moves a lot slower. I thinks its pretty rich but my tack made 5000+. So I need to learn how to set the high end now and see what happens.

It is a cool saw....You did an impossible task and succeeded....My hat is off to you...Just got to get moving on my projects now....

Thanks, I need to get moving on projects as well. I am 3 or 4 saws deep. They are all in better condition though:laugh:. I just want this one finished so I can devote all of my attention to other saws.

I hear you...I am still digging for parts on the 850 and picked up a Husky 371 that I need to get up before cutting season. I love the macs but I spend most of the cutting time with my huskies...

I have a 797 and 10-10 apart on my bench, with a 1-41 under my bech. That should keep me busy for awhile, but I am still on the look out for a cheap Stihl 066 or trashed 044 for a 046bb. And this started as a way to make extra money, not working so far LOL.

I have a 797 and 10-10 apart on my bench, with a 1-41 under my bech. That should keep me busy for awhile, but I am still on the look out for a cheap Stihl 066 or trashed 044 for a 046bb. And this started as a way to make extra money, not working so far LOL.

It takes some time before you can really make some money bit I haven't found that yet either. Usually its fixing saws to sell then use that money to buy more. Get project and you did very well on this one. With this now any other saw should be a lot easier.

It takes some time before you can really make some money bit I haven't found that yet either. Usually its fixing saws to sell then use that money to buy more. Get project and you did very well on this one. With this now any other saw should be a lot easier.

LOL, sounds like your closer to making money than me. I need to start fixing saws I dont want to keep. This saw has definitely helped my confidence in working on saws. I just dig right in now, as long as I have an IPL I am pretty sure I can get it back together. And I have a better grasp on the little details, like ring gaps and piston clearance, all the things that come with experience.

Ok finally got to cut with it today. It is still lacking the power I think it should have. I think that has mostly to do with the rings are still seating, as that is its first real use and I just plain suck when it comes to tuning. I am pretty sure that it is rich on the high speed but dont know how much. Tried the roller nose bar too but didnt take any video because the chain was pretty dull. Any suggestions on what I need to do to fine tune is welcome.:)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vtFMe6MBFY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vtFMe6MBFY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Looks good, but agree it sounds way fat. I should think you could run 10000 no load without trouble. If that makes you nervous, 9000 is plenty good. I have set a few of my Macs to around 10200 no load, no problems to speak of. I do fatten them up a touch for bigger logs or heavy cutting which is truly rare for mine as the Huskies do the real work.

When I was tuning it I was doing it based on what it was doing in the cut. What am I looking for while it is cutting. Cleaning out or should I be paying more attention to how well it pulls in the cut to base my tuning.

It is still plenty rich in the cut, try leaning the H setting about 1/8 of a turn at a time and continue to stick it in the wood until it really runs smooth.

A nice sharp chain may change the way you feel as well.

Mark

Yep, you're a little fat there, that saw will really pick up if you lean it some. Tuned correctly, that saw won't slow in the cut much on a log that size.

Next time I take it out I will lean it out a bit. It would still race a little when idling. But when you take the air box cover and hit the throttle plate it will settle down. There still some spit back in the air box as well, but could be cause I have it so rich. When I get it tuned better and broken in a bit I will post another video.

Latest posts

Back