Is this what is killing my trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xamu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've attached an image here of this stuff that is all over my trees - parts of it are grey and papery and other parts are mossy.

One of my neighbors said that it is what killed my Crepe Myrtle tree (it was all over it) but it seems so common I wanted to see if they were right before I took the time to remove it.

If it is a fungus and it is bad for my trees how do I get it off or kill it? This particular tree is really pretty and right in front of our picture window - it has nice big pink flowers and I have yet to identify it but would like to save it if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help!

fungus.jpg

Those are lichens.

Lichens do NOT harm trees. they increase in size and volume when something else causes the tree to thin out and they get more sunlight. They are considered ecologically beneficial. They even provide a measure of nitrogen to the tree when rainwater washes over them.

Those are lichens.

Lichens do NOT harm trees. they increase in size and volume when something else causes the tree to thin out and they get more sunlight. They are considered ecologically beneficial. They even provide a measure of nitrogen to the tree when rainwater washes over them.
That's awesome, thanks! I'm glad I asked you all before I spent a whole day peeling them off :)

Side note: Can anyone tell if that may be a Magnolia tree by the leaves? It is done flowering but had big pink flowers on it maybe a month ago.

Back