isa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david miller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone just retakes the test every 3 years, or do the 30 ceu recert. on average 6 ceu will cost anywheres from 50 to 150 depending on the course or seminar by the time u get 30 that $300 to $400, i know the point by cue is to keep you up to date. down here most seminar cost nonmember $190 plus travel, for a average of 6 ceu. and there mostly on a work day. with work and family it getting harder to do the book work thingy

You can earn ceu's by doing the ceu article in the Arborist News. Most of them are worth 1, sometimes 2 ceu's. The magazine comes out 6 times per year which equals a minimum of 18 ceu's over 3 years.

In addition to the magazines, there are plenty of online "webinars". For example: Forestry Webinars are free, and while there are not a lot directly related to arboriculture, the will be several over a 3 year period. You don't have to do them live...I'm pretty sure you will still get the CEUs. Have you checked the Vermeer/Sherrill seminars for your area?

Education costs something. That is why people who use their education get paid more. If you are using it, make sure your clients know that so they know what they are paying for.

If I'm not mistaken the cost of ISA membership usually more than makes up for the cost of the seminars and material. What is membership running now? $120 per year? They usually bang you for at LEAST another $20 per seminar if you're not a member, plus you won't get any of the publications.

When I go to the CTPA meetings I usually walk out the door with at least 10 CEU's. 5.5 for CTDEEP and at least that many for ISA. For the $50 or so that it costs to get in, I definately reap the benefits in credits.

Once you have had your Cert for awhile the CEU part gets so repetitive & certain credits can only be used once for the life of your cert.! depending on where you live it can be a PITA, where Im at the pen del chapter meets mostly in lancaster......how nice for those of us in western PA, the seminars can be costly!

I know a few guys who just re-test cause they pretty much have the entire ISA educational library & their thoughts are why should I buy another book "part 2" that just rehashes what book 1 went over, on top of that the Cert really doesnt do that much for them anymore, they`ve been CA`s for so long their customers & plenty at that, know they are good so they reap the rewards of referrals, etc...

The one guy just said hell with it & dropped his cert altogether, half the landscapers are doing tree care now & if not them the grass cutters do it & if either is over their heads they`ll call the drunk tree guy that cant work for anyone but himself but always needs some xtra cash for the bar through out the week.........so cheapest is king & those who specialize are considered to expensive, personally I like my cert & continue with furthering my education even though im in another trade.....but I understand why those who are self employed & certified would question keeping it!!!

LXT................

The one guy just said hell with it & dropped his cert altogether, half the landscapers are doing tree care now & if not them the grass cutters do it & if either is over their heads they`ll call the drunk tree guy that cant work for anyone but himself but always needs some xtra cash for the bar through out the week.........so cheapest is king & those who specialize are considered to expensive, personally I like my cert & continue with furthering my education even though im in another trade.....but I understand why those who are self employed & certified would question keeping it!!!

LXT................

I've questioned even fooling with it anymore. When you get a little east of Dallas, Texas where we are located it has come to mean close to nothing to these folks around here. The Mexicans, a mix of legal and illegal ones, work for peanuts around here and it is such an ongoing battle to put up with and compete with them. The kind of customers that call those cats out and then happen to call a company with a certified arborist on staff is not looking for a certified arborist, they are looking for cheap. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

I'd like to believe the credential is worth something, somehow, someday, which is why I rejoined the union last fall.

Probably shouldn't post this, but on another forum that ends in Buzz, in the Bugs and Crud section, is a thread talking about a decayed Norway Maple. A certified arborist is advocating aerial masonry. Not an ISA certified arb, mind you, just a certified arb. For those here interested in train wrecks and chew toys, I guarantee your sphincters will pucker.

I'd like to believe the credential is worth something, somehow, someday, which is why I rejoined the union last fall.

Probably shouldn't post this, but on another forum that ends in Buzz, in the Bugs and Crud section, is a thread talking about a decayed Norway Maple. A certified arborist is advocating aerial masonry. Not an ISA certified arb, mind you, just a certified arb. For those here interested in train wrecks and chew toys, I guarantee your sphincters will pucker.

Hey, all the crazy people that left here...buzz is where they are.

I've actually been giving some thought to dropping my CTPA membership and perhaps also my CT arborist license. After speaking with the DEEP a few weeks ago about various people that were "anonymously" turned in it would appear as though no action has been taken to enforce the laws. I'm kind of thinking that my membership dues may be a waste of money if they aren't doing anything to help solve the biggest problem that we are facing. As far as my license goes, I still have time to think about that. Just feel that if the unlicensed guys are not being prosecuted, then why the heck should I work to keep mine?

I have never given the prosecution or non-prosecution of unscrupulous operators any
consideration. As far as the "value" of being ISA certified goes, I'm hoping to use it more in advertising, just to differentiate my company from the unwashed masses doing tree work for hire. That was my prime (perhaps only) motivation to start playing this ISA game again. The politics don't interest me one iota.

I have never given the prosecution or non-prosecution of unscrupulous operators any
consideration. As far as the "value" of being ISA certified goes, I'm hoping to use it more in advertising, just to differentiate my company from the unwashed masses doing tree work for hire. That was my prime (perhaps only) motivation to start playing this ISA game again. The politics don't interest me one iota.

It is what it is I guess. Criminals like me exist to try to get a life for ourselves and be sucessfull at something other than asking for change at a gas station. I've always been a hands on learner myself; so with that, I've been excited in my quest for knowledge in my new found career. Lots of You-Tube classes and A little knowledge from my Arbor book gos along way to handle customers, maintain a tree, and get to come once or twice a year and climb it again. A good basic understanding in tree biology and compartmentalization is essential to understand why the placement of each cut in the tree is so important. I'd probably like to put it off as the last thing to ever be apart of the legal crowd; though, with my performance I could cut and climb circles around many I'm sure. Who wants to pay for twits?

Last edited:
Yeah, it is what it is. I'm a reluctant ISA CA.
Not burnt out and bitter, just jaundiced.

Criminals like me exist to try to get a life for ourselves and be sucessfull at something other than asking for change at a gas station.

And that's a big problem in this industry. Guys come out of nowhere, no experience except for youtube or some #### like that. If you dress up like something interesting you can get more change.

Well Its my dream and goal in mind to be able to call my self a CA and I'd have that ISA sticker on the back of my work vehicle. I advertise myself as someone that doesn't leave huge stubs and top cut limbs that come down ripping the bar all the way down the tree trunk. A lot of People here in NC just can't handle the responsibility of getting a tree pruned correctly. Once I'm certified and my angies listing gets more credit I'd be happy to do less tree take downs and more traversing through the canopy with a hand saw and no spikes :biggrin: I've worked with mexicans my whole life working hard for cheap. If it gets rougher than it already is I'll still be in a tree.

Last edited:
Well Its my dream and goal in mind to be able to call my self a CA and I'd have that ISA sticker on the back of my work vehicle. I advertise myself as someone that doesn't leave huge stubs and top cut limbs that come down ripping the bar all the way down the tree trunk. A lot of People here in NC just can't handle the responsibility of getting a tree pruned correctly. Once I'm certified and my angies listing gets more credit I'd be happy to do less tree take downs and more traversing through the canopy with a hand saw and no spikes :biggrin: I've worked with mexicans my whole life working hard for cheap. If it gets rougher than it already is I'll still be in a tree.

You are a little late on the CA deal. The rest of us have already milked that deal for about all it's worth. CA is pretty much yesterday.

I had a inspector the other day told me i should display the sticker on my truck i said for what, you the only one around here that knows
what it means. like every place now there no standards just the cheapest, we have a few city that enforce any type of pruning standards, but for a area as big as south fl that nothing. Im on the same line of thought that a CA means nothing down here

WOW...........! No wonder many are thinking bout chucking their Arb certs out the window, perfect post right here as to why we the many are paying dues, re-cert fees, test fees, ceu fees, seminar fees & so on....... FOR NOTHING!

when a "AA", "FTA" type self admits that he does that which ruins this trade along with working beside mexicans for nothing & will still do it when the bottom falls out, well that speaks volumes right there, kinda glad I took a different path, however its sad cause I still read the books & part time do the work when I can....Legally too!!!! It`s a shame that those who love this field are watching it be destroyed by non-professional types & to boot they brag about it

If all you have to sell yourself on is not leaving stubs, topping & bark peeling trees.............you are truly in a sad pathetic situation!

LXT............

when a "AA", "FTA" type self admits that he does that which ruins this trade along with working beside mexicans for nothing & will still do it when the bottom falls out, well that speaks volumes right there

LXT............

That kinda got you too huh? That was a real head shaker.

Last year I wrote over 2500 estimates for tree work. (Bumper year due to early fall snow storm)

I can count on my fingers the times I was asked if I had a license. Far less than that the times I actually pulled it out to show someone. People don't care, number one issue is price.

Last year I wrote over 2500 estimates for tree work. (Bumper year due to early fall snow storm)

I can count on my fingers the times I was asked if I had a license. Far less than that the times I actually pulled it out to show someone. People don't care, number one issue is price.

You got it. I read the other day where it was just part of what is referred to as the "new economy" and it is here to stay. People hardly ever ask to see credentials anymore. They used to. They just don't give a flying #### anymore. Price has become the mother freaking king kong mack daddy in this deal. Price, and to some extent how fast you can get to it. It's hard to have much backlog anymore like the old days. People just keep looking while they are waiting and if the brown boys get to them it's all over. The brown boys will eat your backlog quicker than a little left over menudo.

Back