? isit only the foolish that heat with wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries, I never knew the guy personally. I can't say for sure that he did the arson but victims included a church as well as a historic home which was the finest example of Finnish square log construction in the area, if not in the entire state. The church was a half mile from his house.

(Before I lived there) He used to shoot at my house and barn from his which was 3/4 miles away from a port he cut in his roof. We repaired several rifle holes in the house wall when we moved in.

No worries, I never knew the guy personally. I can't say for sure that he did the arson but victims included a church as well as a historic home which was the finest example of Finnish square log construction in the area, if not in the entire state. The church was a half mile from his house.

(Before I lived there) He used to shoot at my house and barn from his which was 3/4 miles away from a port he cut in his roof. We repaired several rifle holes in the house wall when we moved in.

You think your neighbor was crazy. Mine still has a bucket on top of his OWB... With 25 acres of woods available I can only think he sits in his house in a snow suit waiting for the perfect moment to light it up.

With the plenum heater, the house will stay 68 or 70 (whatever I want) overnight. The electric only kicks on a few times, but it's enough to avoid the dip. Then I don't need as big of a load in the morning, and I avoid cooking us out. The electricity for that heater is $.07/kwh, so the cost shouldn't be too bad. Also, since it uses the Kuuma's blower, and blows air past the wood furnace, it is just kinda giving a boost, but using preheated air.

@Ryan'smilling plenum heater..? You got my attention...tell me more. :laugh:

@Ryan'smilling plenum heater..? You got my attention...tell me more. :laugh:

Well, you've showed me yours (in other threads), so I'll show you mine ;). IMG_20191210_165645213.jpg

It's made by Electro Industries. Back in the day, our electric cooperative gave these things away. They installed them and serviced them for free. Apparently you can still buy them from Electro, or through HVAC guys I suppose. Our co-op does still service them for free, which is pretty cool. This one is designed to run at up to 20kw. It has 4 coils, of which 2 of mine have been disconnected, so it only runs at 10kw. Apparently this was common depending on how much power was available at the house, and what the heating requirements are.

It had been installed on our old Yukon Klondike wood furnace. I had a buddy come move it over to this plenum. The plenum needs to have baffles installed so the air is forced through the coils instead of around them. I think the baffles need to be within an inch of the coils.

It has its own limit switch to control the furnace fan and also to shut power off to the coils when they get too hot. Working with the tech from the co-op who also checked with tech support at Electro, we determined that since I had relocated the low limit switch for the Kuuma to above the electric coils, there was no need to wire in the electric heater's fan controller. It would have been unnecessarily complicated and redundant.

So far, I haven't gotten a bill yet, but I think it'll be pretty reasonable. It probably only actually runs for 45 minutes to an hour a day. Our house is small, but it has a high heat demand. We're exposed to the wind, and the house is a 100+ year old log cabin. Most of the windows are 45 years old or older and single pane. As such, the Kuuma doesn't quite keep up overnight on cold nights. Having a backup is nice.

Well, you've showed me yours (in other threads), so I'll show you mine ;). View attachment 779141

It's made by Electro Industries. Back in the day, our electric cooperative gave these things away. They installed them and serviced them for free. Apparently you can still buy them from Electro, or through HVAC guys I suppose. Our co-op does still service them for free, which is pretty cool. This one is designed to run at up to 20kw. It has 4 coils, of which 2 of mine have been disconnected, so it only runs at 10kw. Apparently this was common depending on how much power was available at the house, and what the heating requirements are.

It had been installed on our old Yukon Klondike wood furnace. I had a buddy come move it over to this plenum. The plenum needs to have baffles installed so the air is forced through the coils instead of around them. I think the baffles need to be within an inch of the coils.

It has its own limit switch to control the furnace fan and also to shut power off to the coils when they get too hot. Working with the tech from the co-op who also checked with tech support at Electro, we determined that since I had relocated the low limit switch for the Kuuma to above the electric coils, there was no need to wire in the electric heater's fan controller. It would have been unnecessarily complicated and redundant.

So far, I haven't gotten a bill yet, but I think it'll be pretty reasonable. It probably only actually runs for 45 minutes to an hour a day. Our house is small, but it has a high heat demand. We're exposed to the wind, and the house is a 100+ year old log cabin. Most of the windows are 45 years old or older and single pane. As such, the Kuuma doesn't quite keep up overnight on cold nights. Having a backup is nice.

that is pretty slick!

I'm curious to know what that little toaster oven costs to run. Im content with my 500 dollar a year propane bill and supplemental heat every night and weekend. Since we stopped using the dishwasher our electric bill has been a lot cheaper. Lose the tank and dryer and it would be real cheap. Electric heating elements draw a ton of power.

I'm curious to know what that little toaster oven costs to run. Im content with my 500 dollar a year propane bill and supplemental heat every night and weekend. Since we stopped using the dishwasher our electric bill has been a lot cheaper. Lose the tank and dryer and it would be real cheap. Electric heating elements draw a ton of power.

I just got our power bill for the last month. Only had the toaster set up for 21 days of the month, and the cost to run it was $13, plus $3 in facility charges. Like I said, it doesn't run much. Two years ago, before we moved in, we used the electric heater pretty much exclusively for the month of January while we refinished the floors. Granted we only kept the house at 50-55 degrees, but still it was only about $125 for the month.

is it just me or do only the foolish heat with wood when there are other alternatives to keeping warm? simple question I "WOOD" guess! lol
Yep, it's just you......lol
I actually thinks it's smart making firewood for my heat.
A good stove and action plan can help a lot.
I use a combo of wood pellet stove and woodstove to heat my house.
Cutting firewood is cheap (after you own the equipment), but labor intensive so it not only keeps me warm, but keeps me fit too.
I guess I just love playin with my wood (as my wife calls it).

Attachments

• P_20181115_161408.jpg
    P_20181115_161408.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
is it just me or do only the foolish heat with wood when there are other alternatives to keeping warm? simple question I "WOOD" guess! lol
Simple answer is "personal satisfaction" from one or more probably all aspects of providing oneself with one of life's most basic requirements. I'm not sure digging coal would be the same however.
Get hold of a copy of a book called "Norwegian wood chopping, stacking and drying wood the Scandinavian way" by Lars Mytting, read it and you will have very complete answer.

Simple answer is "personal satisfaction" from one or more probably all aspects of providing oneself with one of life's most basic requirements. I'm not sure digging coal would be the same however.
Get hold of a copy of a book called "Norwegian wood chopping, stacking and drying wood the Scandinavian way" by Lars Mytting, read it and you will have very complete answer.
i may already do know the " question " to the answer ??? lol for myself that is.

Back