It was a chopper box, now it's a.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerboybill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
.....portable firewood rick!

I went to a consignment sale earlier this week just to buy this Knight 17-7 forage wagon. I am really tickled how this worked out. I was able to sell the running gear from under it for the same money I bought the whole thing for. I wrenched apart most of it, and torched very little on it - just a spot where the PO had welded to front to the box and the mounting points on the back for the apron. The steel was thin enought that I used my 18v Milwaukee fuel circular metal cutting saw to cut it into three pieces.

Now, I'm gonna take the apron, two speed gearbox, and cross apron and trade another guy for another box! I'll have 6 of these to haul firewood up from the bottom on the 3 point hitch of my 4430!

My only regret is that I didn't buy the other two that were there as well...0305151240.jpg 0307150718.jpg

I've seen that at auctions alot, where good running gear is hidden under a wagon that no one wants and the whole thing goes for much less than the running gear is worth.

There are some hidden gems in discarded farm machinery. Gearboxes, hydraulic components, drive lines, bearings, hubs , axles,and wheels, and lots of good steel.

Occasionally, there's a well priced feed out wagon for sale here. I'm threatening to buy one as a Winter project to turn it into a hopper and conveyor for rings to keep a splitter fed.

There was a flat deck truck trailer with turntable front axles, braked, in not too bad condition that went for NZ$1k a while back. I didn't have the $ at the time but that sure would have been a great base for a farm log trailer.

Built my second one today and this was my first time out trying it. I was hoping to load it a bit heavier, but noticed one rear needed a bit of air. I'll air it up and try again with the first one I built.

I also included a pic of the one I traded the aprons for. I'm gonna keep it complete in case I end up not liking the ricks. I could always mount it backward on a running gear and fill it to the gills...

0308151717.jpg

0308151718.jpg

0307151803.jpg

Latest posts

Back