It was a hell of a ride...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you might be using the shed as a reference. The trees are well behind it. The tree closest to it has another tree in front. On the right tree, measure the width of the trunk. Its 42 times higher than wide. The trunk is atleast 30"

Yes, if I can't use the shed as ruler then I am lost, the trunks look as though they very well could be supporting such loft.

Sort of the same thing with these, if the wood has been compromised don't trust it, base failure is quite possible if compromised so is upper canopy, make sure your rig point matches what you are rigging.

I don't often use a false crotch to tie into but I do with these because high good crotches on these are weak and the entire force of you dangling down the whole length of the limbs gets to be a bit, uh, bendy so I tie in right below a crotch, on the fat wood, that I would normally use on another type of tree. You start climbing all the way out the line and working the tree getting it rocking and such then look up to see yer TIP on that brittle **** up there...

When these trees or limbs grow horizontal you might want to think about doing the job when the leaves are off to save laundry bills.

If ever you think yer TIP or rig point or support will blow out these are the trees you are thinking about.

The only thing nice about them is they are easy cutting, the limbs come down fast.

I didnt see anything wrong with the trees. There has been a string of tree failure accidents in our area. People are scared now. Some are falling on moving cars, parked cars, houses ect... and killing people. Which happens but has been unusually regular here lately

I can see why they might look under what i said. Its camera trickery. Its not uncommon for a tulip tree to hit 80' with a 16" trunk around here.

Yes they do grow like that.

We all use reason and sound logic though I sometimes account for every living thing having TUWTB ( The Universal Will To Be), some people say soul, I dunno, whatever.

But that is also what holds a tree up in this universe and the tree knows about it too and has been doing what it can to BE in this universe while adapting to whatever the universe is throwing at it and its been doing pretty good until one day YOU come along and give it a nudge. It wasn't expecting that.

What can I say? Do you have a better reason the damn thing is still standing?

I didnt see anything wrong with the trees. There has been a string of tree failure accidents in our area. People are scared now. Some are falling on moving cars, parked cars, houses ect... and killing people. Which happens but has been unusually regular here lately

When they get that big the wing breaks the tops out and they crash on the bedroom roof's.

The trees is your picture looked like have been reduce by either topping or storm damage.

No. I honestly dont see many broad tulips. They are just like these.

I am still not getting over 100 feet using the person in the picture as a ruler.

Yeah when i scale that pic i get about 80'. The tree beside it is about 15 feet taller. I dont know if its the wide angle cell camera affected by tilt causing an illusion? Lol. I get 105 on the shorter tree on site. I will drop a tape where i take the top and measure the top too.

And sorry for the thread hi-jack. This kinda took on its own life.

Maybe a shot laying on the ground right at the base shooting straight up will make it look taller? :D Closer up pic of the girl too might help....

Tulip trees aside for a moment….

I want to thank the OP for sharing and wish him a speedy recovery. I have a dozen or so poplar trees at my house that I have wanted to take down for a few years…I feel they have just outlived & outgrown their strength. they are tall, some have some lean….They are by my driveway and I see them every freaking day……They are exactly the type of tree that I worry would fail while topping...Jolly you are so lucky your injuries weren't MUCH worse!!!) - I climb and do tree work pretty much full time in the Summer but am self taught and have only been climbing for about 5 or 6 years…I have thought out a few ways of dealing with these trees but just haven't gotten around to taking them out just yet…Jolly's scenario is pretty much identical to the one I could see happening and is why the trees are still where they are….Heal fast!

Were you relieving weight(limbs) as you went up JL?

I've gone over with a palm that was root pruned a bit too much.

But fortunately for me it went over slow enough to allow me to undo my lanyard and bail off as it hit the ground. Otherwise the trunk would've beat me to death.

Fractured clavicles are agonizing. Hope you're not allergic to percodan!

My left clav's held together with a titanium strap n screws, but I still climb!

Best of luck on a quick recovery mate!

I'd have kept that saw running and cut my lanyards and Body line like my life depended on it..

jomoco

Did you rigging the top mean you intended to catch and lower it, but it failed prior to any rigging forces coming into play?

So even if you'd said the heck with any rigging, and free felled the upper 15 foot head, the tree would've broke at the base anyway?

You're shakin my faith in mother nature's ability to weed out the weak and flawed trees with wind n rain.

I like nice violent storms. Makes my job safer. I often look up at iffy leaners thinkin, heck, if it stayed up in that last blow? This'll be cake!

jomoco

I thought you broke it while rigging it. Its even worse with the new information!

Back