Italian Cypress Disease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donivanb

Reaction score
I have eight mature Italian Cypress trees that have developed what I would call "sap balls". They appear on individual limbs, made of sap, hard as a rock and up to three inches in diameter, about the shape of a baseball and completely surround the limb. The leaves on those limbs are distressed or dead in most cases. There are also a few places that have small leaks of sap, which may indicate a canker problem; however, where I read about canker problems there is no mention of these large balls. There are also a few limbs without the sap problem that are distressed.
There appear to be no infestation of mites or other insects. I would appreciate any comment.

Look up Botryosphaeria canker: one of the symptoms is the presence of girdling cankers at the base of the branch, which sounds quite like what you have.
Many thanks for your reply. I have now researched the Botryosphaeria and Seiridium cankers and it appears that Seiridium is most common canker found in Italian cypress. I'm attaching photos in case anyone has further comments/suggestions.20170305_151506.jpg 20170305_151025.jpg 20170305_151053.jpg 20170305_151235.jpg 20170305_151506.jpg 20170305_151949.jpg

]

Gross. Never seen this one.

Closest resemblences are to certain oak galls and pine rust gall. Agrobacteriam can produce similiar looking galls but never seen it on a conifer.

Closest resemblences are to certain oak galls and pine rust gall. Agrobacteriam can produce similiar looking galls but never seen it on a conifer.
Thanks Jason for your reply ....after a lot of on-line research plus talking to people in the plant business, I've decided to remove as many of the cankers as possible, then concentrate on improving the health of the trees with fertilizer, mulch, proper irrigation etc.
From what I read the long term prognosis is probably not too good.....

Reminds me of bacterial crown gall on euonymous. I had some success on one this year with pruning out the galls then sterilizing the pruned areas with a small torch. Out of the ordinary but it seems to have worked.

Reminds me of bacterial crown gall on euonymous. I had some success on one this year with pruning out the galls then sterilizing the pruned areas with a small torch. Out of the ordinary but it seems to have worked.
Thanks for your response.

Back