Italmec spider lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notahacker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am not a rep trying to sell anyone anything. I was just wondering if anyone here has seen an alternative spider lift? Since Teupen has a sponsored forum, they didn't like it when I mentioned their competition.

When you get to the link, scroll all the way down. Look for "You can view the video by clicking here" typed in red.

http://www.808.it/ragno/index.htm

I wished they featured their R21 (taller lift) in the video. Check out their R21. This link has a 3 page photo gallery of tree work. Cool stuff.

http://italmecusa.com/pages/tree-service.cfm

Its a nice looking lift. The R21. The one they feature in the vid is a much too short for tree care.

What I dont like of the R21 is that the lower boom doesn't telescope. Major shortcoming and a huge loss of flexibility inside a tree. You can only get your max side reach at 28ft. The tree need to be mighty short if you want to do any crown work. The Teupen 23gt is a better designed boom. I cant say much about the hydro or elec system since Ive never seen the Italmec in person, but those hoses would be shredded from sticking out like that. If you ever ran a bucket truck in a tree you know that your booms, while in a canopy, will touch other limbs ocassionally. All hoses and lines must be inside. I see a potential for disaster with a setup like that.

The Itlamec is not for me in their current design, despite my Teupen woes. However, if they add a model to their arsenal that fixes the above issues I have ... I may give them a look. These points I made above are necessary in tree care with these sorta lifts. If all you want a lift for is removals than my points don't hold weight in the buying decision.

My eyes are wide open at any competition entering the spider lift game.

I am not a rep trying to sell anyone anything. I was just wondering if anyone here has seen an alternative spider lift? Since Teupen has a sponsored forum, they didn't like it when I mentioned their competition.

When you get to the link, scroll all the way down. Look for "You can view the video by clicking here" typed in red.

http://www.808.it/ragno/index.htm

I wished they featured their R21 (taller lift) in the video. Check out their R21. This link has a 3 page photo gallery of tree work. Cool stuff.

http://italmecusa.com/pages/tree-service.cfm

I called Italmec they`re sending me info, I wont even consider a tuepen lift after the way they act here!! I would like to think they had nothing to do with what happened but others have had posts deleted as well & Now an infraction for harassment, I wish nothing but the best for them & their customers.............but I wont be one!! shame Im in the market for a lift have $50,000 saved & if I sell my lift atleast another $15,000.

LXT..............

Last edited by a moderator:
What I dont like of the R21 is that the lower boom doesn't telescope. Major shortcoming and a huge loss of flexibility inside a tree. You can only get your max side reach at 28ft.

Yes. That is a draw back, however, their side reach is 40' when they are 8'-28' up. --That's not bad.

Besides, Italmec R21 will get you through a 36" gate. So, there is a compromise.

The R21 is also nearly 3' shorter when in travel length. That could come in handy too.;)

I called Italmec they`re sending me info, I wont even consider a tuepen lift after the way they act here!LXT..............

That is what I noticed here too. That is why I have been researching other lifts.

But, those Italian lifts are expensive too. :cry:

I think I am going to wait until our American companies can produce some spider lifts cheaper. Then I won't be at the mercy of exchange rates, shipping, etc...

Yes. That is a draw back, however, their side reach is 40' when they are 8'-28' up. --That's not bad.

Besides, Italmec R21 will get you through a 36" gate. So, there is a compromise.

The R21 is also nearly 3' shorter when in travel length. That could come in handy too.;)

a compromise yes. there is no perfect machine on the market yet. with a non telescoping lower boom you will need to climb a good portion of your pruning jobs. id rather take a fence panel down than climb if I had a $100,000+ machine sitting there. -3 feet length, thats a plus, but never encountered a situation where my spider was too long, since it pivot spins on a dime.

like I said on the Teupen forum. If I were in the market for a lift right now Id be sitting on my money and waiting for better design to come. It will.

John, I think the teupen design is pretty nice actually, The 23gt does have some nice features, the lower boom telescoping is a plus, but not necessary!!

Mind you I dont like having to reset up, but honestly I have never had a problem doing any crown work!!! Yes the outreach at a higher level would be a plus!!

I think its a shame that Ryan & Company are the way they are!! being in the tree care biz/or having been in you think would give them the edge!!
Retail sales are a lot different from tree care sales thats for sure, I know for a fact there is significant markup on these babies!!

If Nifty can go from $120,000 retail to $90-$93,000 promotional & their dealers still are offering discounts way below the sugg. retail then so can spiderlift!! noone in machinery sticks to retail!! Biljax, nifty, genie, jlg, etc...

I got the used machinery price list for spiders & it is way out of line, for the price of used you could buy new!! wonder what blue book he`s using, as soon as you take delivery of anything!!!! you just lost an easy 10% of what its worth on the minimal side 7% atleast.

For ryan & co. what is gonna kill them is service & parts availability, John your machine is just 1, what would it be like if 5-10 machines were down & thats not that many really!! I also think it shows the type of people they are & the type of biz they are when on their forum they delete posts & get upset over people discussing other machines or critisizing theirs, grow up!!

John I dont think you will have any future problems!!! your posts shed light on a product & hopefully gave them the kick in the A$$ to step up, make you mad......you`ll post & they`ll have to explain that, no pretty for them!!

Be safe Take Care

LXT..............

My new Leo 23 GT

My only complaint so far is that when I ran it through a trail in the woods to get to a removal job, the dips in the trail caused it to bottom out. When I looked underneath, I saw a protruding pressure guage and hydraulic lines in the back. Had a I ran over a protruding rock (in between the tacks), I would have sheared off the guage and abraded the hydraulic lines. Had to stop the machine and when we re-started, we lost traction/momentum and it started to dig into the soft soil. Turned around as it started to rain harder. Will not make the same mistake twice, will bring out the alturnamats next time.

John, I think the teupen design is pretty nice actually, The 23gt does have some nice features, the lower boom telescoping is a plus, but not necessary!!

LXT..............

I agree with all of your post except this statement. This is different for each area, but around here you are normally limited to setup on one side of a tree, not 360 degrees around it multiple times, due to fences, pools, pavers, houses, other trees, and landscaping, etc. so in order for you to go up over a inner branch structure you have to telescope up, then telescope out with the upper boom. I call it snaking through a tree. Some bucket guys try this and have to clear an unecessary and normally harmful opening to get to the other side. I would have to do this with an italmec also, but then I wouldnt be upholding my standards of proper tree care. So the telescoping lower boom is necessary if you want to replace climbing and also stick to ANSI code.

I agree with all of your post except this statement. This is different for each area, but around here you are normally limited to setup on one side of a tree, not 360 degrees around it multiple times, due to fences, pools, pavers, houses, other trees, and landscaping, etc. so in order for you to go up over a inner branch structure you have to telescope up, then telescope out with the upper boom. I call it snaking through a tree. Some bucket guys try this and have to clear an unecessary and normally harmful opening to get to the other side. I would have to do this with an italmec also, but then I wouldnt be upholding my standards of proper tree care. So the telescoping lower boom is necessary if you want to replace climbing and also stick to ANSI code.

Yeah that does make a difference, especially when you`re limited to one side, everythings going good so far for ya? hope so!! bet its nice to be bach in action!!

Take care Be Safe!!

LXT..........

BTW, tommorrow my team & I have a big poplar to do, Im gonna take some pic`s......some climbing, some Genie lift, I will try to post them so I may need some help in doing that!!!

LXT..............

I just attended a large seminar and trade show here in CT. They had a Teupen 23gt, Italmec R21 and R16 set up and running outside. There were also bucket trucks from Aerial Lift of CT and Altec doing demos. It was very revealing to see the speed differences between the different units.

The buckets are a standard to judge the other lifts by. The R21 was the same speed as the buckets. The 23gt was significantly slower, it wasn't even close. The conditions were difficult and the morning temperatures were hovering at 18F, but it warmed up by lunchtime to near freezing. But I think this was a fair test because these are the conditions that the New England arborist has to work in for part of the year.

Since the "spider lifts" have to fold completley before they can reposition there is no question in my mind which unit I would buy. Watching both units fold and unfold was very enlightening.

Talking with several other interested people the general feeling is that the R21 was the superior unit. Better climbing ability, narrower profile, wireless controls, smoother and faster movement.

I haven't seen a spider lift yet that is as robust as a bucket truck and using any of them will require modifications to work practises to protect the units. More roping and lowering rather than cut 'n drop.

imho

Redstree, did you get any pricing on the Italmecs, Im waiting for some info but just curious, the R21 does look like a very well built machine.

I dont think the bottom boom telescopes or does it, this is a benefit as well a future maintenance PITA for those with telescopic lower booms.

JLG had a boom years ago with tele lower boom, alot of stress put on the cylinder pins & the yokes would wear I guess it was due to boom flex while extended or part of the cause anyway, so sticking with a Non-tele lower boom might be the way to go less of a future maint. headache!!

LXT............

Yeah that does make a difference, especially when you`re limited to one side, everythings going good so far for ya? hope so!! bet its nice to be bach in action!!

Take care Be Safe!!

LXT..........

yup, the lift is performing flawlessly. After not having it for so long I realized today what I been missing. thanks again!

hey reds, thanks for the info. I'm wondering if the hydro fluid was replaced on the Teupen to the thinner grade recommended for cold temps. would love to see a video of them side by side. now that would be cool.

:clap: Glad to hear it!!! nice pic`s of the oak job! Im gonna try to get some on here, we got a nice one on jan 19th, suppose to be cold, today was a fun one very windy, thats a weird feeling being fully extended a 20mph blast come through..............never do get used to that...LOL keeps my faith intact.

Be safe Take care

LXT............

Redstree, did you get any pricing on the Italmecs, Im waiting for some info but just curious, the R21 does look like a very well built machine.

I dont think the bottom boom telescopes or does it, this is a benefit as well a future maintenance PITA for those with telescopic lower booms.

JLG had a boom years ago with tele lower boom, alot of stress put on the cylinder pins & the yokes would wear I guess it was due to boom flex while extended or part of the cause anyway, so sticking with a Non-tele lower boom might be the way to go less of a future maint. headache!!

LXT............
Because the Teupen and the Italmec are both made in europe the prices are effected by the exchange rate of the euro. Currently the Italmec is $120,000. All I can say is, hope for a stronger dollar.

The lower boom does not telescope on the Italmec R21. I agree, any time there is a telescoping boom there are definite wear points and associated maintenance requirements. But the modern plastics such as teflon are proving very durable and do not require librication. In fact lubrication of an open teflon bearing would just attract debris which could increase wear.

As for John464's question about changing oil weight, I did not ask either Teupen or Italmec if they had changed oils. Nor do I know if it is a recomendation from either manufacturer. You would think that the dealer would present a unit in it's best light and make any changes to maintain performance.

As an aside, when operating Aerial Lift buckets for the past 20 years we never changed oil weights in the winter here in CT. They were a little sluggish in the morning but quickly came up to speed. When I watched the two spider lifts it was not when they first started but after they had been operating for a few hours.

I hope this answers your questions.

Last edited:
Back