It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I led a brief discussion on which chain would be best to cut old plastic septic pipe with. The consensus was full skip and do it on a warm day (which we've now had one) as opposed to cold. But then I thought of the icky chips that would fly and I will use a sawzall.

I flush cut some stumps...and then spent the afternoon filing chains.:msp_mad: Maybe we ought to start a thread about which brand of chain cuts dirt the best.

A chain that's nearly wore out is the best one!

I led a brief discussion on which chain would be best to cut old plastic septic pipe with. The consensus was full skip and do it on a warm day (which we've now had one) as opposed to cold. But then I thought of the icky chips that would fly and I will use a sawzall.

Chop saw works the best, perfect square cuts every time.

You wouldn't want those chips in your ears (or your mouth, or even on your boots...:laugh:

Chop saw works the best, perfect square cuts every time.

Yep. The abrasive wheel can get melted plastic on it though. I bet an old Wright recipricating saw would work great.....it'd be like a giant Sawzall...

LOL...They weren't worn out when I started but now they're the official stump chains. I don't usually mess with flush cutting stumps but this was a favor to a friend. We're cutting at the site of an old gold mine so almost all the trees have metal in them. We figure we're lucky when all we hit is wire.

Brought the wreckin' crew out and we dropped, limbed, and bucked an acre or so of doghair alder for a friend. I got a cord and a half of firewood and a buffalo steak dinner out of the deal. Not so bad, I say. Only saw casualty was the ground wire on the 026; gotta choke it to kill it until I get a new terminal on there. Also had a leaner maple barberchair on me but it ended up where it was supposed to go in spite of itself.

You wouldn't want those chips in your ears (or your mouth, or even on your boots...:laugh:

Yep. The abrasive wheel can get melted plastic on it though. I bet an old Wright recipricating saw would work great.....it'd be like a giant Sawzall...

Nope, I use a carbide blade used for cutting wood, works excellent!

LOL...They weren't worn out when I started but now they're the official stump chains. I don't usually mess with flush cutting stumps but this was a favor to a friend. We're cutting at the site of an old gold mine so almost all the trees have metal in them. We figure we're lucky when all we hit is wire.

Yep! I keep a few old wore out chains around in-case.

got a new timber beast saw today, man am I jazzed :rock::rock::rock:

its a PNW thang, you wouldnt understand. :hmm3grin2orange:

CIMG5275.jpg

If I cut into trees with gold nuggets in them I would not complain at all and just buy a new chain for each tree.:D:laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

PNW gas station

Stopped at my favorite gas station down in elby by Mount Rainier they let me shoot a couple pics. The biggest saw has an 8 foot bar Only gas station I know where you can buy a proffesional saw

238259d1336967521-dsc_0062-jpg

238260d1336967535-dsc_0063-jpg

238261d1336967547-dsc_0064-jpg

238262d1336967562-dsc_0065-jpg

Last edited:
I flush cut some stumps...and then spent the afternoon filing chains.:msp_mad: Maybe we ought to start a thread about which brand of chain cuts dirt the best.

There is a trick to somewhat save the chain. Start your cut by only cutting half way through the stump. The chain only pulls sawdust out of the wood. If you start by just cutting the whole way through the stump your pulling the dirt through the wood bad. After cutting through the wood back cut the rest of the stump again pushing the sawdust out no dirt. I hope this helps it sure saves me some time.:msp_thumbup:

patty, it is a pnw thing and a lot of folks would like to understand .:msp_wink:

Back