It's here... A Pioneer NU-17!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promac850

formerly promac610
Reaction score
I recently conducted a trade with a fellow member here, he needed/wanted a little firewood screamer, I needed/wanted another classic saw... :)

So I traded a disassembled Husky 350 for the world's biggest top handled saw... that has a kick stand... :D

It needs a tiny bit of work, like the aforementioned 350... I will have to sort out an ignition problem, and after a little clean up and tuning, she should fire right up!!

I will go through it good, without tearing it all down. If shining a flashlight into the cylinder shows it needs to be cleaned up, then I guess further work would be necessary to ensure the survival of this classic and surprisingly compact 89cc top handled saw. :cheers:

Here's the pics!!:blob2:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I recently conducted a trade with a fellow member here, he needed/wanted a little firewood screamer, I needed/wanted another classic saw... :)

So I traded a disassembled Husky 350 for the world's biggest top handled saw... that has a kick stand... :D

It needs a tiny bit of work, like the aforementioned 350... I will have to sort out an ignition problem, and after a little clean up and tuning, she should fire right up!!

I will go through it good, without tearing it all down. If shining a flashlight into the cylinder shows it needs to be cleaned up, then I guess further work would be necessary to ensure the survival of this classic and surprisingly compact 89cc top handled saw. :cheers:

Wow Kyle! Kicka** saw! Never ran a Pioneer always wanted to though. Hope it all works out :cheers:

Ya'll gotta admit thats funny as he**... A giant 89cc top handle with a kickstand...or whatever that wire thing is on the clutch side. May the force be with you on this one. We're counting on you to resurrect this one. Good luck! I tell you what though....thats one heavy unit to be using with one hand...you would end up like that red guy from that movie hellboy......one regular arm and one huge arm..at least you could punch through walls. I think I may have to follow this thread...seems very interesting..lol:popcorn:

project exchange

Ya'll know what i think...thats a kick azz idea....members trading projects that they may never get to, or have little interest in..to another member that could appreciate it more and put the time needed to get it going again. I swear the kid gets it running this evening some how im going flip...kyle seems like he knows whats up here in the chainsaw world so i look forward to finally hearing that thing run.
Anyways I encourage project trading....worked for me...im happy as this kid that started this cool thread about a very wierd azz saw..come on...89cc and a kick stand....Now if Sawtroll will just tell husqvarna to put one on them husky 346's they might sell even more of them ferocious little critters.:msp_w00t:

Your doin' pretty good for a guy with no $$. :hmm3grin2orange:

lol, I spent some of the leftover grad money on the 350, and which that said 350 was then was traded for the big top handled saw... :)

I have to say, I did not get it running, yet... maybe a little later tonight, after I fill up the truck and some gas cans up, and after I plant some little Norway Spruce trees and a Colorado Blue Spruce tree into some pots.

I am wondering what them Norway Spruces will look like when I am 50 years old... they grow about 2-3 feet a year, sometimes more or less depending on the soil conditions... hopefully our soil will be better than average and make these little trees get real big, real fast... :)

Ok I'll be the one to ask....what the @#$% is that thing...it almost looks homemade with a briggs and stratton and part of an echo top handle...well Kyle that didnt last long did it....having the worlds largest top handle saw for roughly an hour or 2....So possum does yours have a kickstand/foot thing? j/k

smilin possum beat me to it.
The Monark Silver King 81 is
the largest top handle saw i
know of.

But nice NU17.

Lee

Wow, so that's what saw that is... It's fricking huge and qualifies for the RandyMac scale of cc's. :)

Thanks, this thing seems to only need a coil, fuel line(s) and a little cleaning...

Good news/bad news time... Good news is the saw is very clean and complete for its age.

Bad news: Flywheel nut is rusted on, will take some time with penetrant and reefing on it to get it to pop.

Needs an air filter... (not horrible news, but I imagine it may be a bit difficult to find one)

Needs an oiler push rod... (dropped it and can't find it, even after spending about an hour looking for it... :bang:)

Absolutely needs a coil... I simply touched the plug wire after I took the coil mounting screws out, and the wire simply broke some of the coil off... so I guess I need a new (good used) one to replace it. One of the wires on the coil runs to under the flywheel... so there's probably points under there too.

Well, that's about all I have for today on the world's second? largest top handle saw... flame on for losing the oiler push rod...

That is a nice complete NU17 you have there, does not look to have any broken parts other than the yellow primer push button.
Is the coil covering all cracked , most are.

Yep, the primer button is missing, and the coil is toast.

If anyone knows of a substitute coil that can be used on this saw, please holler with what one(s) can be used...

Oh, missing one clutch cover washer... which was replaced by a nut that happens to be just right for a washer on this application. :)

Yep, the primer button is missing, and the coil is toast.

If anyone knows of a substitute coil that can be used on this saw, please holler with what one(s) can be used...

Oh, missing one clutch cover washer... which was replaced by a nut that happens to be just right for a washer on this application. :)

As a last resort I have adapted a coil from the 600 series saws to work on the NU17 and the other 400 series saws like it. I have yet to find a good OEM coil for one of these saws. I posted some picts of one of my NU17 tear downs and rebuilds over on the Pioneer chainsaw thread, starts on page 362.

Back