It's here... A Pioneer NU-17!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I'll be the one to ask....what the @#$% is that thing...it almost looks homemade with a briggs and stratton and part of an echo top handle...well Kyle that didnt last long did it....having the worlds largest top handle saw for roughly an hour or 2....So possum does yours have a kickstand/foot thing? j/k

Sorry guys had to blaze for a bit.
This is a 1956 FALLS SILVER KING 130cc monster. No kickstand but it takes two to crank it. It runs bad but it'll run. Tore it down piston and jugg are real bad. I'd like to get her back up to snuff.

We are stihl trying to pin it down. The tag on it say it's a Fall Silver King 81, produced by Falls Manufacture. So I stihl don't know. Sorry for the highjack guys.
Joe

Kyle there is a old school Pioneer guy close buy. If ya'll think one off of a 600 series saw I'll check with him in the am and see what he's got. This cat don't use computers he's stihl got the big books. He my can help i'll check.
Joe

Kyle there is a old school Pioneer guy close buy. If ya'll think one off of a 600 series saw I'll check with him in the am and see what he's got. This cat don't use computers he's stihl got the big books. He my can help i'll check.
Joe

That would be awesome. :cheers: Maybe he'll have a 600 series coil...

I am no stranger to modding or fitting parts to get them to work.

All I know is that pg600 said almost all of the NU-17's have coils that are falling apart or literally are completely disintegrated. If he has been able to fit a 600 series coil, then I don't see how I can't either.

Kyle no luck he thinks it'll work but does not have one. He's not wrenching anymore due to health reasons and has gotten rid of most everything he had.
I'll keep an a eye out just in case.

Kyle no luck he thinks it'll work but does not have one. He's not wrenching anymore due to health reasons and has gotten rid of most everything he had.
I'll keep an a eye out just in case.

Thanks for checking. :cheers:

Hope the guy is okay. It is saddening to hear someone has to stop doing something they love because of getting old or some health reasons. :msp_sad:

so all your needing is a coil? Let me educate myself on what all will work and I will also try and look for one...I'll check my one connection as soon as i can muster up the cash to deal with him. Those damn dogs!!lol:msp_unsure:

so all your needing is a coil? Let me educate myself on what all will work and I will also try and look for one...I'll check my one connection as soon as i can muster up the cash to deal with him. Those damn dogs!!lol:msp_unsure:

Oiler push rod wouldn't hurt either, in case I really did lose the one that I dropped...

Still a bit pissed about dropping that part. :bang:

So I went out there to make a flywheel puller plate, and work on it some more.

Before I made the flywheel puller, I had to figure out how the heck that flywheel nut comes off... so, failing to notice it is a LEFT HAND thread... I pulled the impact gun out and proceeded to strip the hell out of the flywheel nut and washer... oops, I thought it was just rusted on there bad, and was right hand threaded...

Moral of the story: Check the threads... not all are right hand threaded... again, check them damn threads...

I'm gonna say this again... THE FLYWHEEL NUT THREADS ARE LEFT HANDED ON THIS SAW!!!

Sorry for yelling.

So I need a new flywheel nut and washer too. :bang:

I moved on and made the flywheel pulling plate, which turned out well... I've got that thing on there as tight as I can make it, and hopefully it'll pop sometime soon. Before you get all worried, I did lay the saw on its side so the flywheel faces up... cause that nut ain't gonna hold the flywheel. I assume gravity should keep it from flying through the window near the workbench and through the nearest tree...

Crankshaft threads are fine. They're happy and a tiny bit shinier now from the nut busting incident.

A lot of people make that mistake, some of the Pioneer saws are left hand thread on the flywheel side. If you don`t or cant find what you need State side send me a PM and I think I have most of the parts you need.

A lot of people make that mistake, some of the Pioneer saws are left hand thread on the flywheel side. If you don`t or cant find what you need State side send me a PM and I think I have most of the parts you need.

We'll see if slipknot comes up with anything. If not, you'll hear from me. :)

We'll see if slipknot comes up with anything. If not, you'll hear from me. :)

Damn weather hasnt let me go yet....I almost went today...but with storms and tornado watch....and that guys wolf mutts...

Oh and dude ya gotta watch bustin' them nuts....that could get you in trouble...

Good news: Found the oiler push rod. Cleaned the muffler assembly/spark screen/baffle. Checked the piston and bore, they are in great shape. A little carbon on top of the piston, but nothing to worry about. From the little I could see on the cylinder wall through the exhaust port, I saw cross hatching... this thing probably didn't get used much. Also found a bar that I just might pick up for this saw... two words: roller nose... :rock:

Bad news: Never got around to calling those sources, and still gotta compose myself, and go find the crank nut and washer, the primer plastic line (if I can find one... if not, I'll find a fuel line that seals up well with the hole in the tank left from the careful removal of the little grommet that the primer line originally sealed into) and one more little part, the primer button.

The chain is about 93% free, haven't checked on it recently, but I did spray the problem areas several times with rust penetrant so it may surprise me and move just like a new chain should, without help from pliers, a screwdriver, and a vise.

Also, I would like to note that this saw most likely would benefit from a muff mod, all you have to do is remove the spark screen/baffle assembly, and set them aside.

That right there would be a huge gain, since the screen is one long piece folded over three times to make four layers of mesh to flow through!!!

Talk about restriction, it probably explains why there is so much fricking carbon in the muffler assembly and around the exhaust port. So much more than I've ever seen before, the screen was basically plugged with carbon.

I might pull the carb and check it over. Most of the time, I find that the engine I'm working on doesn't need a carb rebuild, just a little cleaning, and put back together.

These projects I have going should pick up some steam somewhat soon, since I know can afford to buy a few things for the saws. (got that 790 project too!! That thing will be a fun saw too) So keep an eye out. :cheers:

The carbon more than likely came from the old engine oil that was used back then and the oil ratio the fuel was mixed at, 16:1 was common back then, I have older saws where 8:1 and 12:1 were the recommended mixes using 10 W 30 engine oil thoroughly mixed with reg gasoline.

The carbon more than likely came from the old engine oil that was used back then and the oil ratio the fuel was mixed at, 16:1 was common back then, I have older saws where 8:1 and 12:1 were the recommended mixes using 10 W 30 engine oil thoroughly mixed with reg gasoline.

Yeah, dino oil does carbon up more, but geez, with the way this muffler and baffle/spark screen is set up, it compounds the problem of carbon build up!! As in I scraped and carbon comes off, scrape again, still more, scrape more, and still more... you get the idea, lol.

So it's soaking in paint thinner fumes under the hood of the parts cleaner. It should clean up real good when I get back around to it later this week.

Otherwise, this thing is amazingly clean, and I am looking forward to making her run again.

No... been busy with other projects, mainly the 790 parts searching (which is now complete, thanks to a parts saw and .030" over piston) and the 317... and many more.

I mean I've (again...) got projects up my arse... :laugh: It never ends. But that's a good thing. My attention span can be short sometimes, hence the reason of so many projects, so I can jump from one to the next.

Once I get that POS KT17 with the thrown connecting rod cleaned off of the table, I'll be able to start taking parts off of the 1-76 parts saw and figure out what I want to do for color, etc.

Gotta call those numbers that another member supplied me with. One or both of them are supposed to have every part I need for this Pioneer. Just gotta get on the cell phone and call... reception in the house sucks, so outside is the only way to talk over the cell, and there is a heat index of something like 100 degrees out right now for my area... in other words, too fricking hot... also it's Sunday, so they probably aren't open...

Tomorrow, I will be out in the morning. Calls may be made then if I remember.

Whats up? Glad to hear you havent gave up on that nu17. I still have the husky but the nut eventually pulled out of the cylinder so im trying to get it filled in if i can find a welder locally that can do aluminum. I can TIG....just not aluminum. I may try this epoxy stuff thats like jbweld but is supposed to fix cracked heads...says it can be threaded when set up.....so if i go that rout im worried about heat expansion. its made by VersaChem its called steelweld epoxy type 45. It doesnt say anything about aluminum which makes me hesitant to give it a shot. high temperature and pressure resistant. other than that i want that saw back on line...it was a great firewood saw for the stuff i get....nothing over 20" hard wood mostly ash walnut

I tried my source a while back for nu17 parts
and it looks like his days are done.....his 2 sons are taking over his old saws and stuff.....he mainly has old mcculloch and west bend stuff....not much pioneer. Sorry man.

oh and if you happen to run into a RH starter/clutch for the bigger macs.....im in need of a clutch for a MAC 790....also i have a mac 790 and 1-70 that both have the same oem hard nose 24/25" bar....it runs .404 chain, but how many links if i went to order one? I have saws plus their bars but never got any chains or any info on how many DL of 404 pitch chain they use...anyone know?

Whats up? Glad to hear you havent gave up on that nu17. I still have the husky but the nut eventually pulled out of the cylinder so im trying to get it filled in if i can find a welder locally that can do aluminum. I can TIG....just not aluminum. I may try this epoxy stuff thats like jbweld but is supposed to fix cracked heads...says it can be threaded when set up.....so if i go that rout im worried about heat expansion. its made by VersaChem its called steelweld epoxy type 45. It doesnt say anything about aluminum which makes me hesitant to give it a shot. high temperature and pressure resistant. other than that i want that saw back on line...it was a great firewood saw for the stuff i get....nothing over 20" hard wood mostly ash walnut

I tried my source a while back for nu17 parts
and it looks like his days are done.....his 2 sons are taking over his old saws and stuff.....he mainly has old mcculloch and west bend stuff....not much pioneer. Sorry man.

Bring it to a welder and have him fix it. Do not be surprised if he says he has to cut some of the fins away so he can lay beads on there. Have him explain exactly what he is going to do so you get an idea of how it will be repaired.

Or if you want, buy a new top end for it, and send it to me. I can do much better on the transfers.

The epoxy probably won't hold to the vibrations IMHO.

Shame another man has to give up in the old saw business. I hope his sons are gonna be smart with all of that stuff...

Back