It's here... A Pioneer NU-17!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newbie here
I just started a strip down on a nu17 to find that my coil is shot and I'm missing the spark plug cover and the air filter cover too.
I would like to ask you guys if I can get the covers and if it's possible to custom fit a new coil using a bit of persuasion.
I've seen the date of the tread alright but was wondering if you guys will still get this.
Thanks for your time
Rui

They can be made to run again, while NOS parts are very rare there should be some good used parts out there for covers and cases. The coil can be adapted from newer saws,I have used coils from the 600 series Pioneers and some coils from the older OMC outboard motors can be swapped over onto the laminated coil holders for the NU17 or model 400 saws. To fit a Pioneer 600 coil the laminated coil holder must be resized to fit the smaller center core the 600 coil has. You should also post over on the Pioneer chainsaw thread found in the, stickies section of this site.

Thank you very much for your fast reply, I did post too on the pioneer chainsaw (stickies) thread just in case.
I'll try to get an original coil to make my life easier, seen one on eBay but I'm across the lake in Ireland and most sellers don't post abroad.
So I'll wait and see if someone on arboriste as the bits I'm looking for and if they would ship them over so I can get this old lady going again.
Once more thanks for your time and by the way you're a pioneer legend lol
Love your restoration projects

Thank you very much for your fast reply, I did post too on the pioneer chainsaw (stickies) thread just in case.
I'll try to get an original coil to make my life easier, seen one on eBay but I'm across the lake in Ireland and most sellers don't post abroad.
So I'll wait and see if someone on arboriste as the bits I'm looking for and if they would ship them over so I can get this old lady going again.
Once more thanks for your time and by the way you're a pioneer legend lol
Love your restoration projects

Sorry, guess I should have checked into the Pioneer chainsaw (stickies) myself first...LOL
There should be some spare parts floating around on this site, best of luck on getting the ole saw going.

They can be made to run again, while NOS parts are very rare there should be some good used parts out there for covers and cases. The coil can be adapted from newer saws,I have used coils from the 600 series Pioneers and some coils from the older OMC outboard motors can be swapped over onto the laminated coil holders for the NU17 or model 400 saws. To fit a Pioneer 600 coil the laminated coil holder must be resized to fit the smaller center core the 600 coil has. You should also post over on the Pioneer chainsaw thread found in the, stickies section of this site.
Hi again
You just lighted up my day! Went over to check the scrap box and found two evinrude 4hp coils out of an old outboard....
Tomorrow will measure both and if it fits replace it for a working one and make sure not to damage anything on disassembly.
Probably will epoxy the new core to the armature and hope it sparks
Wish me luck as is first time I'll attempt this kinda surgery ... with sausage fingers lol

Hope they fit and make spark, some of them do and more than one old Pioneer and IEL saw is running with one in it. My stash of old NOS ones were depleted several years ago, havn`t found any lately but every now and then one comes up on eBay but quite pricey.

Back