Ivy and Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdurfy

Reaction score
I recently moved to a new home and have 4 Maple Trees(type?) of about 30 years of age, 50 feet in height. The previous owners had a real thing for Ivy. I'm sure this is not a good thing but the Ivy is climbing the trees. All though I can't be certain that the Ivy is the cause, one tree is dead, one appears to be dying and the remaining two are definitely not healthy. Some of the Spring foliage is already dying. The infliction is accompanied by seperating bark on the higher branches, these are also the ones that are dying. Help! I am going to have an Arborist visit this week.

While ivy is never a good thing to have growing in trees, it causes less problems than are attributed to it. A healthy tree will likely be little affected, til the ivy has really taken over the entire tree. It can choke the trunk and branches, keep areas too wet after rains, and allow insects to flourish. Likely, though, the trees have other problems.

Here in the PNW, bigleaf maple develop several diseases easily, especially later in life, or if affected by change or construction. Lots of ivy does seem to speed decline.

Bark peeling away from a branch usually means the entire branch is dead, especially in the upper canopy.

If you are in the Seattle area, email me.

Roger Barnett
Barnett Tree Care

ISA certified arborist

Back