Japanese Maple Bark Damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BapaJon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
We have a beautiful Moonfire Japanese Maple that is several years old. A large portion of bark at the base of the tree is gone and the exposed wood is dry and cracking. Japanese Maple Bark 1.jpgJapanese Maple Bark 2.jpgIs there something I can put on the wound to help save this tree? Perhaps some Bonzai Paste? Please see the pics.

Thanks so much,
Jon

There's some pruning spray you can buy at most hardware or fleet stores. It's used for spraying on a branch that was just cut, but same principle.

Thanks Shibby... I'll check it out.
I was doing some research on Bridge Grafting. Does anyone know if you can Bridge Graft from the root to the bark?... since there is no bark at the bottom of the trunk.

Thanks Shibby... I'll check it out.
I was doing some research on Bridge Grafting. Does anyone know if you can Bridge Graft from the root to the bark?... since there is no bark at the bottom of the trunk.
You aren't going to be able to graft tissue that has been exposed that long - would need to create new wounds. I wouldn't. Did something chew that?

I'd strongly recommend you get rid of the landscape fabric under the mulch. As the mulch decomposes, it creates some wonderful compost for the tree...but the tree can't have it if it is sitting on top of fabric. It is good to see proper planting depth with the root collar/flare at the surface. Keep it that way - don't pile mulch against the trunk. The best "solution" to the wound on the bottom is a healthy tree.

Back