Jawhorse for Chainsaw Use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
These have been around for several years: basically, a 3-legged, folding saw horse with an integrated clamp / vise. I have seen versions sold under the 'Rockwell', 'Triton', 'WORX', 'Rigid', 'WEN', and 'Franklin' brand names.

I have a couple of saws and chains to evaluate, and need to cut lots of cookies, so I found a used one on Craig's List to see if I can hold some of the limbs more stable than in a saw buck. Anybody else use these with their saws?

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4677.JPG

The photos show a 5-1/2 diameter log clamped in place with the standard, rubber jaws. Some models offer a 'log jaw' accessory with metal teeth. I did not see any still offered for this model, but the photo, below, shows a set for the Triton version. These use 3 points of contact for securing irregularly shaped logs or limbs.

Screen shot 2020-07-09 at 10.40.38 PM.png

I may try to make some out of 'U'-channel, with bucking dog style teeth cut in.

Philbert

Other Saw Uses?

IMG_4681.JPG
Sharpening was the first chainsaw use that I thought of. The Rockwell log jaw accessory, apparently, has built in spacers to hold the guide bar with enough clearance for the chain to be rotated when sharpening. I will just cut some 1/4" spacers to try this. Maybe glue some magnets to them, to hold them to the bar.

Philbert

That looks far from stable to me.
It is surprisingly stable. The manufacturers promote the 3 leg / tripod base as being 'self-leveling' on uneven surfaces. And the grip holds the log securely (up to a reasonable diameter). So, as long as the load is between the 2, front legs, the whole thing is pretty solid. I am sure that if I offset a heavy log completely to one side, it would be easier to tip.

I am not selling these: just looking for an alternative to a sawbuck for cutting cookies, and looking to see if others have used them. It is a lot more compact and portable than my previous set up: my picnic table and a ratchet strap.

photo 18.jpg

Philbert

Attachments

• photo 3.2.jpg
    photo 3.2.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 8
A Couple More Shots in Use

Used the Jawhorse to cut over 100 cookies yesterday, just using the standard, rubber jaws.

Holding odd shaped wood for cutting test cookies (click to enlarge):

IMG_4691.JPG IMG_4695.JPG

Holding rounds for noodling (!) - (click to enlarge):

IMG_4694.jpg IMG_4692.JPG

EDIT: I should point out the obvious: this thing is almost completely made out of metal, so a little bit of aiming, when cutting close to the jaws with a chainsaw, is a prudent thing to do.

Philbert

I Really Like This Thing . . .

Continued to use the Jawhorse over the past few days to cut up a couple hundred (?) test cookies, and to buck half a face cord of limbs into 16" pieces. I held wood up to 6-1/2 inches in diameter, using only the standard, rubber jaws: makes me wonder if the 'Logjaws' are worth it. Solid, secure, easy to set up and move, folds down for compact storage.

As noted above, this thing is made almost completely out of metal, and I did nick the chain once when noodling (places chain much closer to the legs). So I 'engineered' a complex, integrated safeguarding system, using a scrap 2X4 and some duct tape that seems to work ("If the women don't find you handsome, they ought to find you handy!"):

IMG_4702.jpg

I also conducted a proof-of-concept investigation of another application near to my heart (sharp eyes will see that there is no grinding wheel used in this test, and that it involves a 'clone' grinder - I wasn't going to risk my good, Oregon grinder and wheels for such a risky adventure!):
IMG_4701.JPG

Keep your eyes open for these on the local CL, etc., and give one a try!

Philbert

Been using one for years, bet close to 20 years. Would have to check when craftsman sold the things.
I have seen them in the home centers for many years, but only thought 'home remodeling'. Never realized how handy they could be for holding limbs, test cookies, sharpening, etc. Especially for onsite / field work / activities.

Philbert

Did not take a photo, but the Makita tools display truck stopped by a local vendor a few days back, and they had at least 4 or 5 of the JawHorses in use for their chainsaw and other tool demos. Of course, they had 'Makita' stickers over the 'JawHorse' labels, and their units looked 'well used'!

Philbert

Latest posts

Back