JB Weld Plastic any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonScott46

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have a relatively minor crack where the rear handle joins the footpad on an 044 and want to stop it from getting any worse. Is JB Plastic Weld any good or is there something better at around the same price? I was also thinking I would try and fill in under the footpad to reinforce it. Has anyone done this before? Was it affective?

There is a superglue spificly for plastic if you run that in the crack after sealing the underside to stop it running out Where the cutouts are on the underside of the foot plate I have cut pieces of alloy sheet to fit in the cutouts I super glue them but JB Weld would probably work

I fixed an 046 break in the spot you have and it's hollow. I used regular jb weld for the hollow area, then used some water activated "fiber fix"wrap from an auto parts store. Worked very well.View attachment 583340 View attachment 583341

That wrap can be found at plumbing supply houses as well, water activated and very strong reinforcement, will hold back water at 100 psi with no problems.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these parts are all ABS, glue for which is readily available in the plumbing department. Reinforcement of the glued joint is recommended, since it already broke once.

My favorite way to fix cracks if they are in a place where you can get to it with a drill, is to drill a series of small holes on both sides of the crack and then stitch it together with small copper wire. Finish by smearing JB Weld or other good epoxy into the stitches. As mentioned above, surface preparation by cleaning and roughing is essential to get a good bond on plastics.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these parts are all ABS, glue for which is readily available in the plumbing department. Reinforcement of the glued joint is recommended, since it already broke once.
I believe t hat most all of the saw plastic is (fiber)glass filled 6/6 nylon. Check the recycling symbols on the parts.

In my experience JB Plastic Weld is strong stuff. I don't know if it'd stand up to fuel, though.

The Stihl handles and tanks are made from PAL2 which is nylon fiber reinforced plastic.

In my experience JB Plastic Weld is strong stuff. I don't know if it'd stand up to fuel, though.
Once fully cured, any good quality epoxy that comes as a 2-part product and has a long cure time, is not damaged by any common solvents, including acetone, gasoline, lacquer thinner, alcohol, etc. This is not true of a lot of the fast cure products, some 5-min epoxy has no long term stability and will even be effected by water.

Have a relatively minor crack where the rear handle joins the footpad on an 044 and want to stop it from getting any worse. Is JB Plastic Weld any good or is there something better at around the same price? I was also thinking I would try and fill in under the footpad to reinforce it. Has anyone done this before? Was it affective?
devcon plastic steel is the best two part epoxy of that type....but a can the size of a soda can costs around 450.00 USD ;) I have used it to build up bearing surfaces as well as high temp high pressure steam joints (emergency only of course).

Once fully cured, any good quality epoxy that comes as a 2-part product and has a long cure time, is not damaged by any common solvents, including acetone, gasoline, lacquer thinner, alcohol, etc. This is not true of a lot of the fast cure products, some 5-min epoxy has no long term stability and will even be effected by water.

Very good to know.

Back