Jerky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anlrolfe

Honor GOD, Country and Corps
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I mentioned that it had been a while since we've had some wild game on our Scout outtings and that if someone had an old venison roast I'd whip us up some jerky. Our unit commander, a notorious deer slayer came through with two nice rounds. Letting it sit in the frig over night, still mostly frozen yielded perfect slicing consistency.

20200128_051028.jpg

1/2 c brown sugar
1 tbl black pepper
1 tbl onion powder
1 tbl garlic powder
1 tbl lemon juice
3 tbl liquid smoke
__ Or substitute (my preferences)
__ 1/4 c molasses or
__ 1/4 c Hoisin sauce
1 tbl garlic red pepper paste
Or substitute Sriracha sauce
1 tsp paprika
1/4 c worchestershire sauce
1/4 c teriyaki sauce
1/3 c soy sauce
1-1/2 tsp Mortons "tender quick" salt
*** If this is going to stay refrigerated and eaten relatively soon the curing salt can be omitted. Watch the blood pressure...

I will dry this out in the oven tonight. My wife loves the smell(not). Taste treat to share around. I'm looking forward to a good campout and bonfire.

I mentioned that it had been a while since we've had some wild game on our Scout outtings and that if someone had an old venison roast I'd whip us up some jerky. Our unit commander, a notorious deer slayer came through with two nice rounds. Letting it sit in the frig over night, still mostly frozen yielded perfect slicing consistency.

View attachment 792709

1/2 c brown sugar
1 tbl black pepper
1 tbl onion powder
1 tbl garlic powder
1 tbl lemon juice
3 tbl liquid smoke
__ Or substitute (my preferences)
__ 1/4 c molasses or
__ 1/4 c Hoisin sauce
1 tbl garlic red pepper paste
Or substitute Sriracha sauce
1 tsp paprika
1/4 c worchestershire sauce
1/4 c teriyaki sauce
1/3 c soy sauce
1-1/2 tsp Mortons "tender quick" salt
*** If this is going to stay refrigerated and eaten relatively soon the curing salt can be omitted. Watch the blood pressure...

I will dry this out in the oven tonight. My wife loves the smell(not). Taste treat to share around. I'm looking forward to a good campout and bonfire.
How long in the oven and at what temp? Assuming you meant traditional oven?

@jrider
I aim for about 165-170F
Crack the door open.

@cuinrearview
Weber makes a good product. Years ago I had a Brinkman R2D2 clone that I used frequently.
Almost pulled the pin and got the Weber a couple times.
I came really close to getting a Little Chief electric but read that it didn't get hot enough to cook in

For as infrequently that I cure jerky, the stove will have to work for now.

@jrider
I aim for about 165-170F
Crack the door open.

@cuinrearview
Weber makes a good product. Years ago I had a Brinkman R2D2 clone that I used frequently.
I came really close to getting a Little Chief electric but read that it didn't get hot enough to cook in

Not judging. I've made some fine jerky like that. But BTW, for future reference, the WSM is wonderful. Night and day to the ECB. I see them barely used on CL for a nice price quite often.

@jrider
I aim for about 165-170F
Crack the door open.

@cuinrearview

One more question, what do you lay the strips of meat on while baking?

I've had easiest cleanup rolling parchment paper directly on oven rack.
It breaths and wicks moisture. Meat slides off relatively easy when done.
I'm going to try hanging part of this batch on skewers or toothpicks and see how that works. I'll do some on parchment as well.

You want to cut with the grain of the muscle, not against it.

Do they call you CHOMPER ?
I've got all my teeth, except the ones the USMC took out(wisdom) and I'm not afraid to use them either but I prefer not to Gnaw on it any more than necessary. If this was long term storage or rough transport and packed about, yes, with the grain to keep it together. Across the grain you can end up with jerky crumbles. I've gone 45deg and split the difference. This will be gone this weekend shared around with the Scouts and Leaders.

@jrider
It took about 6hrs with the oven door cracked 1/2" - 3/4" at the top.

I like spicey but I may taper back on the red pepper paste. The stuff I've got is turbo action Asian grocery stuff. Sriracha would be much less intense.

The skewers worked very well. I'll definitely be doing that again in the future.

The two small rounds yielded north of half gallon ziplock bag of jerky.

Yum.

Back