John Deere CS40 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get some feedback on the John Deere CS40 chainsaw. A JD dealer has them on sale her for $279 Canadian (16" bar) or approx $200 U.S. Would it be alright for an occasional user like myself who would use it to prune and/or fell 5-10 trees per year? The trees average 10 to 20' high and are medium sized.

joed,
I sell the EFCO , (they make the saws for JD now). The 940/cs40 is a great little package with 2.4 hp. Set up with a 16 inch bar and 3/8 low profile chain it will out perform most of the other saws under 45cc. I've had 3 Stihl 025s traded for them after a demo.
I have two out with climbers now, and they seem very happy with them. (They both told me their insurance company told them to dump the top handles they had been using, I wonder if this is a sign of things to come??)
I price them at $199 (US) with a spike. I think the JD dealers are a couple of bucks higher. You do want to get the spike, they don't come with it.
Mack

I ran a CS-56 briefly and thought it was a good saw for the money. I believe these new JD saws to be of pro quality. A comparable saw to the CS-40 would be the Husqvarna 141, which you can get for about the same price. I wouldn't have any reservation about buying either for the purposes you describe.

John Deere CS-40 / Oleo-Mac 940

This saw is a professional chainsaw whether we like the idea or not.
[I have it's bigger brother(sis?) - the 962. A beast. Can't escape from this fact.]

It has a very high compression engine with 2 rings on the piston, and has better power-to-weight ratio than others I've tried. I do have saws like Efco 137, STIHL 025 (45cc, modded, runs .325" or 3/8" LP whenever I like) , Mac-Cat 38cc , STIHL MS240 (42cc)
and I would definitely pick the Oleo-Mac 940/John-Deere CS-40 any day , anytime, new or used (or even worn - and fix it) -- and go out there and do my light limbing and/or grab this featherweight and sturdy puppy with me on the crane to do the limbs until I get to the thicker stuff..

Just saying.

Good day folks

Jo.

Latest posts

Back