John deere CS81?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyrafa

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to buy a big chainsaw to use with an alaskan MKIII mill.
My bugget is a little tight, and I found this chainsaw JD CS81 with a 32" bar for 640$.
I've read everywhere to go with sthil or husquarna, but they are much mor expensive. This one seems to have the same weight and hp (5.7) as the 066. I will use the saw 3 times a year, 5-8 trees a year, 12-30". Any recommendations? should I wait to save an extra 300$ and get the 066?
Also, do you know any books or websites about how to cut down some trees?
thanks,
rafael

If you are only going to use it 3-4 times per year, sounds like you are making a good choice. Not everybody needs the biggest, baddest, strongest saws on the market. :blob2: I am not familiar with that saw, but I would guess that it isn't going to pull a 32" chain like an 066. If you are only cutting trees up to 30", I would go with a shorter bar to get the most out of the saw. 24" will be plenty to cut 30"-36" trees.
As for books on tree felling and saw operation, check out sherrill arborist supply, link is at the top of the page. Haven't looked lately but I know that they have several good publications.

Hi there, I found a link on the web that sells used Stihls and Husky, that are all checked out and ready for milling. They come with a 32" and ripping chain. I think you couldget a 088 or 3120 for $800. Also 066 and 394's for less! The problem is I can't remember where I saw it. It was procut or procutter. Look around on the web.

Found Procut at http://www.chainsawsforsawmills.com/
Don't know anything Johndeere saw,prefer Stihl but Husqvarna make's good saw's too.For price's on Husky check out Madsen's or Bailey's,Stihl won't let there dealer's sell online.Here in N. CA 066 goes for about $790,so shop around.Jake

I just checked out his website. (procuts) it looks like those are used saws with a new bar. I would be a little scared to put out $800 bucks for any used saw. It looks like they do really check them over, but still beware. What do you guys think. Am I reading it right. I thought it was a little confusing.
Darin

I don't think I would buy one. It looks like you save about 30% versus brand new, but there is no warranty. I've never had much luck buying used equipment from ANY source.

I certainly wouldn't buy used equipment sight unseen. There is usually a reason the 1st owner traded it in. Without hands-on and no warranty, I won't buy used. I gotta hear it run, smell the fuel and taste the sawdust! :D :D

Spend the extra $2-300 on a new one and you will have a saw for life, or until they stop making gasoline and the only thing you can get is vegetable oil, whichever comes first

For that kind of money, I'd want a lot less checking and a lot more replacing :confused: If that John Deere says "make in Italy" on it, it's made by the company that used to make Olympiks which were a well made saw, more low-end torque than high RPM scream.

i agree w/the above posts...........if you want to have this saw for any amount of time why not jsut get the new one.....why would you get ride of a cs81 unless something isnt right w/it..........that is the biggest saw deere makes and is supposed to be good......the previous owner probably bought the biggest saw(for deere) because he was a logger and he planned on using if forever..........so if he got rid of it something is probably wrong w/it...........when spending 600bucks what is another 200 for a warrenty and piece of mind of knowign taht it will work and last for as long as you suck oxygen..........when spending alot of bucks what is a few more...................go jonsered

Back