John Deere Question.....Starter Motor Options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My John Deere 2750 has that typical for them tendency to eat starters because its always loaded with the hydraulic pump, the piston kind; and no "tee" release to help. SO Found three styles...:
1) Bosch 3.0 KW Direct (Dealer sells them for $450 or Chinese AM "Bosch Style" for $150 on ebay)
2) 2.7KW Direct Dealer doesn't sell this but there are a pile of these AM on ebay for $120 or so

3) Gear Reduction Starter (Delco)......calls itself an upgrade. Local place D&W Diesel Electric only sells this option, they are a huge supply/repair house in Auburn NY (45min drive) Sells them for $210

Which one and why?

I don't have first hand experience but the gear reduction type used on a local diesel engine has allways good rep. The engine is a Fiat design tractor engine [ seee Long UTB tractors] modified from factory for auto use[ Aro 244 diesel']. My first hand experience is using a 3kw diesel starter instead a 2,5 kw [low reving] in a 2.5 gas engine. Big improvment. I now just touch the key and the engine starts. I think you have to choose from 3 kw one and the gear reduction. I would get the Delco if is not chinese instead the 450 $ 3kw. If your original starter is less powerful than 3kw i think you will be OK even with the china one.

Thank you.. I now have both (I know, a bit of over kill) I put the gear reduction starter in and the thing spins over and fires really quickly. NOW the rebuilt 3kw direct starter is a back up...:) BTW there is a local company ,D&W in Auburn NY. WORTH having a contact if you have ANY diesel tractors or trucks. They sell starters, alternators, hydraulics etc..everything diesel related. Amazing place.

Back