Johnsered not pumping bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus Aviator

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Johnsered 2135 and have been cutting a couple cords of wood during these cold temps. I have noticed that the last two tanks of gas the saw has not been pumping bar oil. Is this an easy fix or should I take it in? I couldn't find anything in the manual other than how to adjust it based on your bar length.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Have you removed the bar and tried cleaning the groove and oiler holes in the bar? While the bar is off, start the saw and run it a bit to see if some oil is pumped out the discharge hole.

Make sure when cutting in cold weather that you have the proper viscosity bar oil so it will flow properly.

Mark

Did that

I did exactly that. One of the bar holes was clogged. I cleaned the bar and the saw.

I did also ran the saw without the bar. No oil flow.

How does the oil flow? Is it pressure or is there a pump gear?

Thanks,

I'm not sure how the oil pump on the 2135 works. Other similar models have a gear driven pump accessible behind the clutch. Hopefully someone will jump in here with some good advice.

Did you check the inlet screen in the oil tank to make sure it was not plugged with sawdust or ice?

Mark

I did exactly that. One of the bar holes was clogged. I cleaned the bar and the saw.

I did also ran the saw without the bar. No oil flow.

How does the oil flow? Is it pressure or is there a pump gear?

Thanks,

I don't have the ipl, but I can only assume that it is a gear. Are you using regular bar oil? If you are, i would switch to winter weight oil. With the cold temps you would have to run a saw for a while to get the bar oil warmed up to flow properly. That stuff turns to taffy in the cold.

Back